Thread: Jointer tune-up

Jointer tune-up

I recently picked up a used Powermatic model 60 jointer for $300.
    Does anyone happen to know the belt length on this model?
    I am planning on taking apart the dovetailed ways and cleaning everything up and lubing all the ways and bolts. Is this a difficult project for a mechanicaly inclined person? Also are the gibb screws and plates a pain to re-install? I imagine you hold the table in place and slide the gibb plate into place and tighten the screws?
    Im hoping that with a little time and elbow grease this thing should be a nice running jointer. Any advice?
    Thanks, Troy

You're asking me to go back 5-10 years but there was an article in wwing, woodsmith, or FWW...one of those that addressed exactly what you want to do and showed pics of the process. Also talked about shimming of the dovetail ways if it was needed. Something is ringing a bell in my mind about the author showing how to "align the beds" or something with a long piece of MDF. I made up that piece for my first 6" Jet jointer. I was in the market for a jointer at the time so that's why I remember the article. I have it buried somewhere under three feet of books and other mags. If you just can't search/find it. let me know. The tittle would have been something like "tuning/adjusting your jointer". It'll take me a while, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have thrown it out.