Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scrub Oak Burl Hollowform

That is an awesome piece! I wonder what cause that growth. We have lots of scrub oak in our state, and I have never noticed anything like that. Maybe our scrub oak is not the same. Or, maybe I never looked hard enough when I was deer hunting in it. Maybe I need to start "deer hunting" again!

Curt - you already know I love the Southwestern style of Native American pottery - so the form on this one is spot-on! Sure is some amazing wood! Reminds me of snowflake obsidian! Beautiful grain patterns!

Hope you enter this in one of your competitions!

Thanks for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Absolutely Gorgeous!

Thanks all of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike McAfee View Post
    How was it to turn?

MMc
    This was pretty nice wood to turn. It was still somewhat green so that softened up the torture of hollowing it. In fact it spent about an hour in the microwave at 2 minutes per session to dry it out before I did the final turning and sanding. The bark areas made me a little nervous, some parts are all bark. It has most all of a 2 oz bottle of CA on the bark.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Bullock View Post
    I've read in other threads how adding a name can guide the viewers perception of a finished piece (your text sure did). So what would you name this piece?
    I can't ever think of names but I'm thinking of putting this in a statewide art show and they always want to know the name of the piece. I usually just put something like "oak vase", not very creative or artsy. I'm open to all suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Douglass View Post
    That is an awesome piece! I wonder what cause that growth. We have lots of scrub oak in our state, and I have never noticed anything like that. Maybe our scrub oak is not the same. Or, maybe I never looked hard enough when I was deer hunting in it. Maybe I need to start "deer hunting" again!
    Scrub oak is everywhere here too and I think it's the same stuff I've seen in eastern Washington. But like you, I've never seen a burl quite like this one. I'll keep my eyes open a little wider now though.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Curt - you already know I love the Southwestern style of Native American pottery - so the form on this one is spot-on! Sure is some amazing wood! Reminds me of snowflake obsidian! Beautiful grain patterns!
    Steve, I've always liked this style too but never really thought about it as being a Native American pottery style until you started referring to some of your hollowforms as such. Thanks for the inspiration. The pattern in the wood reminds me of a Bev Doolittle painting. I keep looking for a paint horse or something hiding in the camouflage.

Lovely piece Curt. I just love that "lace like" grain. Never seen anything like it...Bill...

Fantastic! One of the most interesting burls I've seen. I love the simple form that lets the wood shine through.

This is definitely going in my 'favorites' folder.

Awesome burl Curt, and you did a great job on it as usual.
    Call me Jim, James seems so stuffy.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Curt,
    That's awesome. It was fun to see it take shape through your earlier posting too.
    Jim

9. Outstanding burl and work.

A very impressive piece Curt. I've also never seen a burl with those colors, patterns and character. IMO, you could'nt have done this burl any more justice. "Scrub Art"

That is really cool!!

I can just imagine what was going through your mind as you turned that beast: "Oh My _______ it is going to blow apart at any moment" each time a tool touched it. YIKES!

But you did stellar work and it came out great!!

Great piece, Curt! You did a nice job with a good looking piece of wood.

Matt

Stunning wood, very nice shape...
    You honoured this burl !
    Friendly, Lionel.

Wow that is absolutely beautiful Curt.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Okay, after reading your more recent post. I think this is art! Great job.
    Mark

You can sometimes count every orange on a tree but never all the trees in a single orange. -A.K. Ramanujan