Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cyclone with limited Ceiling Height

Cyclone with limited Ceiling Height

My work shop is in my garage and I am looking to replace my standard 2 hp Grizzly dust collector with a cyclone but I have limited ceiling height, approximately 84". I have started to look at the JDS 2hp cyclone 2100-CKV 1700 CFM dust collector and the Laguna’s 2hp mobile cyclone dust collector both are around 60" high. I was also considering building a Thien Cyclone Separator Lid. Any other suggestions?

Thanks
    Rich

Dont know much about the separator. Have you looked at pennstate ind.I have a cyclone from them.Havent had any problems with it.I think they are in your state.

Most of the manufacturers now have "short" versions of their two-stage collectors.

Grizzly has the G0703 that is only 69" tall.
    Oneida has a dual, 2.5HP, portable collector that is 64" tall.
    And Penn State has a portable, but it's a bit taller at 84" or so.

Without knowing your the size of your shop and machine requirements, it is hard to make a recommendation.

Here are three suggestionsOptions:
    • If there is only attic above the garage- punch a hole in the ceiling and mount the DC/cyclone high

• Move the DC/cyclone outside. Put it in a shed if noise will bother neighbors.

• Make it a split system where the blower is not mounted on top, just plumbed that way.

• Make it a "push-through" system (see pic)

Last edited by Alan Schaffter; 04-05-2010 at 3:39 PM.

Low ceilings are a pain with cyclones. One option is to remove the blower from the top, and reinstall one of two ways. Either run a duct out the top so you can place the blower elsewhere, or run the cyclone in push-through mode with the blower before the cyclone inlet. In that case, put the blower someplace you would need a 90 degree bend anyway.

Those options assume a tall cyclone that can get pretty small dust. If Bill Pentz's analysis is correct, (and I suspect it is) shorter wider cyclones like the JDS and Laguna would be expected to be less effective for getting small dust out before the filter. A Thien baffle in a full sized DC does a pretty good job; now that this simple option exists I would prefer it to these cyclones unless some real data were available showing how well they capture smaller dust.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Adamo View Post
    My work shop is in my garage and I am looking to replace my standard 2 hp Grizzly dust collector with a cyclone but I have limited ceiling height, approximately 84". I have started to look at the JDS 2hp cyclone 2100-CKV 1700 CFM dust collector and the Laguna’s 2hp mobile cyclone dust collector both are around 60" high. I was also considering building a Thien Cyclone Separator Lid. Any other suggestions?

Thanks
    Rich

Rich, I'm not sure if this helps, but I was in the similar situation. I needed to install a 113" cyclone in my shop with 8' ceiling. I ended up framing a cavity between ceiling joists and drywalling it to gain additional clearance.

Good luck.

You could also dig a small pit in the floor if there wasn't enough room in the ceiling.

Rich,

Do you have a finished ceiling in the garage and is the 84" to the ceiling? If so, did you consider installing the cyclone between the joists. I had the same 84" in my basement (plus 7" between the joists). I installed the Clear Vue CV1800 and hung it between the joists. The whole system fits in <91" and I still have room for a 35 gallon collection drum. This cyclone uses two filters and I mounted them side by side to save space. Ed Morgano sent me some drawings of how to make the hangers and I got the idea of the filter mounts from looking at how the other fellows did theirs in the "picture gallery" on the Clear Vue web site.

You might want to consider building a "Phil Thein separator. I use mine with my jointer, and planer, ahead of my cyclone. Google "Phil Thein," and look for my post "Another Vote for Phil Thein's Baffle." Consider upgrading your filter bags also.

Bruce may be on to something

Checkout the Thien Separator. A couple of folks have used Paul's design and adapted it. A very interesting solution is featured at:
    http://www.cgallery.com/smf/index.php?topic=262.0

I have a Clearvue and had an issue. I was able to cut a hole in the ceiling and make it high enough. One other consideration was instead of using a trash can, I could have made a container for the wood dust to drop into. The container has to be air tight.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

The Clearvue forum says angle mounting is OK

I recall seeing that mounting the cyclone at an angle of up to 45 degrees does not affect the separation. It takes more wall space, but less height.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Peterson View Post
    I recall seeing that mounting the cyclone at an angle of up to 45 degrees does not affect the separation. It takes more wall space, but less height.

Steve
    Paul,

Just read this thread with interest. I have been considering a clearvue but only have 84.5 inches to bottom of ceiling joists and 9 inches to bottom of floor above. Was trying to figure out how to hand the unit between the joists like you mention but I only have 14-15 inches between them and the hanging mount seems to be 18 inches wide. How did you get around this? Also, if you still have the drawings of the mount could you send a copy? Thanks.

Wood Dixon

remember that with the motor on top there needs to be several inches of free air space above the motor to allow cooling air to flow into the motor fan area.
    Bill D.

Paul,

While it's definitely on the same topic... look at the date of the post before yours. After almost 8 years you're a little late to the party, and would probably be better off starting your own thread rather than 'resurrecting' this one.

Monte