Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Owners poll-Nova 16/24-44

Question, I'm not sure about this remote switch people are talking about. What is that for? Is it a switch you can put on different places on the lathe?

I have had mine for over a year and so far no problems.

Weight – To start with I did get more "rock ‘n roll" but after adjusting the legs per Lyle Jamieson’s video I have had no real concerns. I have not added ballast but lots of people do.

Door – I added weather strip (thin) around the top edge to quite any vibration sounds.

Changing Speed – Since I can’t get to the rear of my lathe due to space limitations,
    I removed the front "speed indicator plate?" and added strip magnets to the back.
    It is held firmly but is easily removed when changing the belt to the lowest speed. (Allows you to move the belt with a finger from the front side.)

Tool Rest – I have no problem with it the way it is, but I did purchase one with the lip (finger guide?) at the top. For most turning I use the Nova one, for other (such as a spindle or detail) I use the Delta or Jet style one to help control the depth of cut.

1+ on checking the setscrew on the spindle pulley, this was the only problem I have encountered.

The biggest plus for me is the swiveling headstock. It is a lot more comfortable hollowing out when it is rotated out to the 22.5 angle.

I do not have a remote controller but I did put on an emergency shut-off at the right hand end. I got mine from Grizzly, it was about $13 and rated for 2 hp and 35 amps.

BTW – Fred P. Where did you get your belts? I do not need six but some members of my club also have the 1624 so maybe we could do a group buy. My original belt is still fine with no bad wear showing but you never know…

Mike
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Sand in legs

Just thinking about putting sand in the legs for weight. If the legs were completely full I would be surprised if that added even 20 pounds and I think that would be pushing it. It really doesn't seem worth the trouble to me. Besides I'm wondering of the sand would cause problems with the threads the feet screw into. Just my opinion.
    Never go to bed angry, stay up and fight. Its much more fun.

I too have this lathe.

I like it. The door isn't really a problem. Just open the screw far enough so the door hinge fully seats on the screw.

Changing belts is sort of a pain, but that is because I have no patience. seriously, it isn't bad. I like the mirror idea!.

I did have some problems with the pulleys moving, but a little locktite (red tube) per teknatool customer service and that problem is resolved.

if the pulleys are not lined up, the belts get chewed up. so that is pretty important.

would I buy it again, yea. do I want a more expensive lathe with variable speed yea.

joe
    Vortex! What Vortex?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Douglass View Post
    Question, I'm not sure about this remote switch people are talking about. What is that for? Is it a switch you can put on different places on the lathe?
    Paul,

While you were cruising on the aircraft carrier I asked this same question. Seems it is a wireless remote on/off switch that you could mount anywhere on the lathe. The problem seems to be that Technatool has been talking about this being available for a long time.

Michael,

I haven't seen that video, but having all four feet making solid contact with the floor really help take the shake out of things. As I have said elsewhere, I have no plans for adding ballast. If I did, it would be lead in the legs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mills View Post

I also hope that Fred will post the belt vendor and the product number.

Bob Haverstock

Weight – To start with I did get more "rock ‘n roll" but after adjusting the legs per Lyle Jamieson’s video I have had no real concerns. I have not added ballast but lots of people do.

Door – I added weather strip (thin) around the top edge to quite any vibration sounds.

It is held firmly but is easily removed when changing the belt to the lowest speed. (Allows you to move the belt with a finger from the front side.)

1+ on checking the setscrew on the spindle pulley, this was the only problem I have encountered.

BTW – Fred P. Where did you get your belts? I do not need six but some members of my club also have the 1624 so maybe we could do a group buy. My original belt is still fine with no bad wear showing but you never know…

Mike

well ill join in here to i guess ...upgraded in january to this lathe from a hf34706 that i turned on for 10yrs.
    very happy with it and nice to have reverse and slow speed.
    regets: wish i could have afforded the bed extention so i wouldnt have to take the tail stock all the time when doing hollowing.
    wish i had a better tool rest
    wish they still made the vacume chuck adapter for the handwheel and the handwheel.
    if i had a chance to do all over again i would get those items ..other then that its a great lathe..i have turned out of balance large blanks just fine ..start at low speed till i get it round and then turn it up ..no vibration and no walking.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hampton View Post
    wish they still made the vacume chuck adapter for the handwheel and the handwheel.

Bob
    Bob - a 42mm double sealed motor bearing fits very nicely into the handwheel slot - I also got a brass threaded to hose barb adapter that I turned threads down slightly - epoxied into bearing - drilled two new set screws into handwheel - and have excellent shopvac style adapter (that should work fine with vac pump also). Total cost was $8 at local machine shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hampton View Post
    wish i could have afforded the bed extention so i wouldnt have to take the tail stock all the time when doing hollowing.
    That is what the swiveling headstock is for. If you don't need the tail stock, just swivel the headstock a little, no more bending forward in hollowing.
    This alignment tool would bring back the headstock in alignment real easy.
    http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merc...es-acc-mrstool
    This is a double edge sword. The weight of the tail stock assembly is usually in proportion to the quality of the lathe.
    Don't know which is more expensive: bed extension or this swing away accessory?
    http://www.teknatool.com/products/La...Swing_away.htm
    Gordon

Nova-Micheal Mills

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mills View Post

Mike
    Can you tell me what video of Lyle Jamiesons the leg adjustment is on?

I'm been looking for the same video with no luck

Wow! Have I set a record for delay in responding to a question (from Wayne); almost eight (8) years.

Anyway, the video in question is here.... still holds true.
    http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merc...uthor-jamieson
    Here a link to much newer (5+ years) youtube video which covers it somewhat.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWYEPfqRet8

Mount an unbalanced work piece, adjust one foot with the lathe running until the vibration/shaking is at a minimum. It doesn't matter which foot but the front right should be the easiest. You can feel and hear the change as you adjust it. If you go too far it can start seesawing on the other set of legs.

To update other. I did replace the belt one time. Also replaced the keeper plate ($1 retail) probably from me forgetting to lock the quill each time or maybe just wear from drilling.
    No other problems. Oh, still haven't added ballast.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

I've been turning on my Nova 16-24 for about a year. Every day. I've turned perhaps 100+ bowls, etc. It's a definite upgrade from my Rikon midi which went to a good home. I did not assemble the stand that came with the unit, but rather mounted it on a mobile base made of wood which had substantial mass to counter vibration. It has casters and tool storage, made by my uncle so there is also provenance. Mobility is a absolute necessity in my small shop, since I can move it outside to deal with dust and chips more easily. This also gives me full access to the back side of the lathe which makes changing speed easy. I've added some other essential extras: curved tool rest, 8" screw faceplate, hand wheel, and a "Super Nova" chuck essential for turning large bowls. The greatest improvement over the old Midi is the 360 degree rotating head. I can rotate the head 270 and put the banjo around on the back side. This allows me to true up a blank larger than 16" and take it down to 15+" so that it can sit over the bed and be finished. Even spending a few$ on these extras it's still a good value. I've never stalled it, but I have made the belt slip when I get a "catch". No big deal. Changing speeds is easy since every lathe I've ever owned had similar belt drives. If I win the lottery, I'll pick up a variable speed unit (You can add one to the 16-24). You can also add bed extensions and lot's of other stuff, but for the time being, this 16-24 is all I'll ever need. I'm 70 Y.O. and this will probably be my last lathe.

Richard, do you have a picture of your stand? I think I'm going to be upgrading as soon as my tax return shows up. i really like the idea of a mobile stand with some storage, as I too am limited on space.

cart.jpg Just takes a long time to load....