Thread: turkey calls i turn this week

turkey calls i turn this week

1- KY coffee wood striker crtoch red oak
    2- zerba wood striker birdeye maple
    3 striker left to right -- wild plumb ,birdeye,red oak,crtoch red oak,ebony,cherry ,osage,crtoch red oak..

just turkey stuff i turn .. hope one day i can learn how to turn nice bowl and stuff as you all do ..thanks for looking brian
    Attached Images Attached Images

Really nice stuff. I really like the second one.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Talking

Looks great to me; But what do the mothers of all those poor gobblers think of your work

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Noel View Post
    Looks great to me; But what do the mothers of all those poor gobblers think of your work
    have been hunting just a few time so far this season. on a small farm and i have not kill any BUT call in a flock of 8 Thrusday morning hens and jakes . the old gobbler iam hunting has been ROLL last season and he on guard right now..lol ..

nice looking calls.The season starts in a few weeks up here.

Interesting array of turnings there, Brian!! Do you like the exotic wood strikers? I have found them to not do as well as acrylic and domestic woods. Have you given any thought to turning some acrylic?

Good looking calls Brian. I make calls as a side business...Don't sell yourself short regarding other kinds of turnings....There is a lot of turning technique involved in making a turkey call pot, and the options for imbellishment are limitless. If you didn't know how to turn I assure you your calls wouldn't look as good as they do.

John, actually some of the exotics make excellent strikers. Purpleheart is one of the best. A lot of guys use rosewoods of various sorts with great results. I've found that pecan and hickory striker pegs are pretty hard to beat on most calls. My strikers are two piece anyway, so the head of the striker matches the call and the peg is whatever material sounds best.

I've never had too much luck getting what I'd consider high quality sound out of an acrylic striker. I know it can be done but it hasn't worked for me on my calls. There are some cheapo polycarbonate strikers out there that do sound good. Most people won't pay what I'd have to charge for an acrylic striker. Between the raw materials and the labor (wet sanding, etc) involved, it would be excessive for what a striker should cost!

Looking good Brian! Really like the variety of woods used for your strikers!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by brian watts View Post
    have been hunting just a few time so far this season. on a small farm and i have not kill any BUT call in a flock of 8 Thrusday morning hens and jakes . the old gobbler iam hunting has been ROLL last season and he on guard right now..lol ..
    I get a great deal of satisfaction out of using a tool that i have made, Im sure it would be thrilling to get a bird to talk to you using something you crafted.
    Good luck. Gobble...gobble

Nice job Brian. Nice assortment of strikers too. Don't know how that piece of red oak crotch sounds but it sure looks good!

John

Nice looking calls, the zebra is my favorite

thanks everybody for the nice words. anybody can make a turkey call BUT getting it sounds RIGHT is very hard . as i found out . the first month trying i put more in the fire boxs then sound good. for the wood i like to turn alot of different kinds . red oak crotch sounds very good. first time turning it . and i will be looking for it when i get firewood this fall. soon i want to learn how to turn a bowl never done it before . i think the boss would like it very much . iam very glad i join this site with all the great turners here. really like to see what you all have turn .again thanks brian

Great looking calls Brian, looks like you use slate, I think I have seen a few glass calls on this site, is there a real sound difference? I use a box call, guess I'll have to give a striker a try.
    The season starts May 1st, here in Vermont. Weather here has come off real warm early, season may be over before it starts!
    Again "great calls", bet you won't have any trouble with bowls.

Brian,
    I have an oak crotch and some maple I would trade for a nice turkey call if you would be willing to swing by my house in Chatsworth sometime.I could probally give you a little walnut and cherry also.
    Donny