Thread: I'm becoming more of a shaper convert.

I'm becoming more of a shaper convert.

I used my shaper to run about 60 LF of 3/4" shiplap for a cabinet back this afternoon. I cut a 3/8 x 1/2" rabbet in both edges, so two passes on each board except the two outside boards. Before I had the shaper I would have either used the table saw and dado blades (one pass per rabbet) or a regular blade and cut two passes, face and edge, or the router table and made multiple passes. With the shaper, once I got it set up all I had to do was feed in a couple of trial pieces, tweak the fence and feeder, and then feed in each piece, flip it over and repeat. After running the first two pieces conventionally I reversed the feeder for a climb cutting and it cut MUCH more smoothly; no tear out at all. The downside to climb cutting is it's really messy. Lots of fine sawdust everywhere. I put a magnetic chip deflector I usually use on the milling machine on the table to redirect a lot of the sawdust, but it still made a mess. Of course, if I had it hooked up to the D/C, the mess wouldn't have been as bad....

Anyway, it was a lot smoother and probably safer than cutting the rabbets on a table saw, and with the climb cutting it was a lot cleaner, too. Other than messing around with the initial setup, I'm really starting to like the shaper. Doors and raised panels are next.

After the doors and RPs you will be VERY hooked!! Probably my favorite tools are the shapers! Really fun to use IMO.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I hear you Dave. Get a Euro rabbit cutter with spurs and the tear out ends, no need to climb cut. Straight three wing cutters can be a bit tear out prone, especially 3/4" spindle tooling with its smaller diameter. I too love the shaper. It makes many things like you mentioned very safe and precise, quick too.

Don't say it too loud though or you might irk the router table users. They think its almost the same thing. Seriously.

Shapers Rule!

PS an adjustable 4Z groover with spurs is a very handy cutter to extend your range too.

Shapers

can throw some serious wood across the shop too!
    Chris
    "I have worked myself up from nothing to extreme poverty." Groucho Marx
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChrisPineWorkshop

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    Get a Euro rabbit cutter with spurs and the tear out ends, no need to climb cut.
    Word.

You can get bushings made to be able to use 30mm bore if you are on a 3/4" spindle. Then the sale price Felder cutters are in play.
    JR

Blog Entries
    I recently acquired a shaper and about 30 cutter heads. Haven't turned it on yet because the belts are dry rotted. The cutting bits are monsters. I don't think I'd use it w/o a power feeder. I'll have to find a manual for it. Do you use it like a router or do you have a power feeder?
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. Rutter View Post
    Word.

You can get bushings made to be able to use 30mm bore if you are on a 3/4" spindle. Then the sale price Felder cutters are in play.

What are the recommendations you have for these Euro cutters? And who are the vendors for them? Thanks.

Leitz, Leuco, Leiser, Freud Industrial I'm blanking on others right now, but there are plenty. As for vendors, I got my last one from eBay. I've had Leuco quote directly before though and they were pretty reasonable.

For bushings, the best that I have used were made for me by Leitz Tooling. The guy who sells their overstock on eBay took my order for custom T bushings. Fit was perfect, price was good.

Here is the Felder tooling section. They often have specials:
    https://shop.felder-gruppe.at/felder..._shop_cuid=237
    JR

Can also remove 4mm of bone from a left index finger when making doors if you are not careful too.
    Even though my shaper takes up more room in my shop than a router table on my TS i can't imagine not owning it.

ML
    When I die I hope my wife doesn't sell my tools for what I told her I paid for them.

Forgot the Rolls Royce of cutters - Garniga. This place has good pricing:

http://www.rangate.com/toolingaccessories/index.php
    JR

I have the garniga rabetting and chamfering (at the same time) cutter head and it is amazing! That being said the leitz and other Euros have to be just as nice! Very similar designs.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.