Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Something I don't understand about the Sawstop design

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Something I don't understand about the Sawstop design

My understanding of the Sawstop is that it brakes the blade and disappears it under the table. Why not just disappear it under the table and dont' destructively brake the blade? It would seem to be just as safe that way and then you wouldn't have to buy a new blade if you tripped the safety.

The Saw Stop uses the kinetic energy of the rotating blade to retract the blade. If you watch their videos, it makes a lot of sense. I am not sure there is another way that can be done cheaply that would accomplish the same thing. The type of servos required to react that fast would probably be far more expensive than the brake kit and a new blade.

If it could be done, I'm sure they'd do it - it's not like they make blades...

On a side note, I never understand why people are even remotely concerned about the blade. If it tripped unintentionally (cutting wet wood or metal film or whatever), then I can see being annoyed, but it was clearly the operator's fault. If it tripped from actually touching it, why would you care about $70 for a blade?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    If it could be done, I'm sure they'd do it - it's not like they make blades...

On a side note, I never understand why people are even remotely concerned about the blade. If it tripped unintentionally (cutting wet wood or metal film or whatever), then I can see being annoyed, but it was clearly the operator's fault. If it tripped from actually touching it, why would you care about $70 for a blade?

Well they sell blades but it is a non-issue.

The design is what it is and they have no incentive to improve it, it works and no one else has it. My guess any design that saves the blade is on the "shelf" until others are able to follow suit then the blade saving tech (if when it exists) becomes a value added feature for Saw stop OR matches the others design. Personally, I think the $100 + for a blade IS an issue but a minor one. I know people who have spent 500+ bucks on false fires which is fine for the safety factor (for them) but it would be even nicer if it didn't ruin a blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    I know people who have spent 500+ bucks on false fires which is fine for the safety factor (for them) but it would be even nicer if it didn't ruin a blade.
    True. But all these "false fires" are not happening in dry wood. These are incidences of people cutting wet wood or metal. If these people aren't worried enough about the $70 blade to avoid doing that (or testing it beforehand and enabling bypass mode), they apparently aren't too worried about the cost of the blade.

Actually, I think more often than not the blade is salvageable. Mine's hit my WW II twice(dumb miter gauge's fault) and it's been repaired by Forrest.
    Last edited by Brian Penning; 03-31-2010 at 6:16 PM.

I have thought about having a sacrificial "blade" type thing that the brake would engage into (instead of eating the blade). There are some problems with that idea though and I am sure Sawstop designers have entertained that idea before.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Penning View Post
    Actually, I think more often than not the blade is salvageable. Mine's hit my WW II twice(dumb miter gauge's fault) and it's been repaired by Forrest.
    We have had one trip on our ICS at school so far. The student swore he never touched the blade. I was able to salvage the blade (sent it out for sharpening) and sent the brake cartridge to SS so they could read the chip. They said the stored data was consistent with a finger strike, and sent me a free new cartridge. The only thing I can figure is the student's finger touched the side of the saw plate based on my observation of his operation of the saw.

I cant help it I have to say it . " we want to loose our digits as cheaply as possible

Blog Entries
    3.5 year old thread...

Just a warning before people start thrashing again.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

The brake stops the blade faster than the blade can be retracted.
    Howie.........

Handwheel spins?

When that blade retracts below the table, does the handwheel turn? Seems if the blade stays on the arbor, that the blade raising mechanism has to spin to retract the blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Archambeau View Post
    When that blade retracts below the table, does the handwheel turn? Seems if the blade stays on the arbor, that the blade raising mechanism has to spin to retract the blade.
    no. the arbor is hinged. The catch which holds it in place during normal operation releases under the stress of the brake activation.

Blog Entries
    Mike
    There is some type of release from the mechanism. I had it trigger on some wet wood. I had to lower the blade mechanism to its lowest point and then it re-engages
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

i see 2 reasons.

1. there using the blades energy,

2. there aluminum block which is 65 bucks is destroyed everytime the the saw is tripped, if they didnt stop the blade and just retracted the blade they just lost 65 bucks