Thread: Good ref book???

Good ref book???

I would like to start getting into turning as I now have access to a lathe. There's a lot on the internet but I think I'd like to have a reference book. Can anyone recommend a book that will give me the basics that would include bowls and hollow forms. Saw a couple on Amazon and one even had a DVD which I thought would be helpful.

Any suggestions would be great

Marc

I would recommend Keith Rowley's "Woodturning: A Foundation Course." You can get the book and DVD combo. I started with it and it is excellent. If you plan on doing bowls I would recommend Bill Grumbines "Turned Bowls Made Easy."
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl View Post
    I would recommend Keith Rowley's "Woodturning: A Foundation Course." You can get the book and DVD combo. I started with it and it is excellent. If you plan on doing bowls I would recommend Bill Grumbines "Turned Bowls Made Easy."
    Thanks. Couple good burls on a tree behind my house I want to get to so need to get started.

+1 on both the book and the CD.
    Matt Newton
    IAFF Local 2664

non illigitimi carborundum

I really like Richard Raffan's books. The one below is meant to be used and abused.

http://www.amazon.com/o/asin/1561586722/3--20/

Matt

Taunton Press put out a $9 magazine a couple of years ago. It is a great woodturning overview that covers the basics well. Still read it often.

http://store.taunton.com/onlinestore...cs-017007.html
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

+1 on Rowley's book. Jimmy Clewes has a good DVD - Back to Basics - that will get you started on some good techniques and projects, I also like Bill Grumbine's Turned Bowls made Easy covers bowl making from tree to finish.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I also like Keith Rowley's book.. Check out Nick Cook on Youtube here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqPuD...rom=PL&index=2

All of the episodes that are on the Jet Lathe DVD are on Youtube. Nick is a great instructor. The Jet DVD came with my lathe and has some good instruction for free.
    God is great and life is good!

Rowley's "...Foundation Course" is great, once you get by the British terminology. Raffan's "Turning Wood" is one of the best.

You might want to find and join a local club. Many have video libraries available for loan to members.

Marc,

I think that all the recommendations are great, have seen some of these books and they are good, the DVD's really help as well.

When I started I pretty much went through this online. http://www.gutenberg.org/files/15460...-h/15460-h.htm It's an antique, but lot's of what is done on the lathe hasn't changed a bunch. I also picked up an older text at half price books. These really covered a lot of the basics. I was lucky that my brother had a bunch of DVD's I could barrow. I love Bill Grumbines stuff, the old tauton with Del Stubbs is a favorite and Mike Mahoney. Most of the DVD's out there are pretty good.

For hollowing I like David Ellwsworth's latest book. It covers more, but gives a lot of other insights. For project's I like Mark Bakers book. I know that Darlow's books also come highly recommended. There are lot's of books and so little time.

My two biggest suggestions would be checking out the local library system. Some are certainly better than others, but ours has a good enough selection to get someone started.

I would also see if there is a local aaw chapter that meets nearby. Most usually have a library and folks that love to help out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hubl View Post
    Marc,

There are lot's of books and so little time.

Thanks everyone. Mark's right, better get going!