Thread: Window Blinds Required

Window Blinds Required

To determine the lighting requirments for my new shop, I did my homework by searching the threads in this forum, reading the magazine articles, and downloading Lithonia's Visual software. I ended up with 9 4-bulb T-8s in my 20' by 28' shop space (upstairs over a new garage). I haven't got my tools out of storage yet - but I think I'm going to be happy.

One thing I didn't consider - the glow coming from my shop! The day after the power was turned on, my neighbor came over and asked if I was going to put blinds on the windows. I thought that was funny until I heard her talking to my wife about the same topic 2 days later. I've got tarps over the windows on that side until I can get some blinds installed. You just can't think of everything!
    Attached Images Attached Images

No help on the blinds, but I would like to see MANY more pictures of your shop! It looks amazing from the outside.

I've found that you need more light the older you get. I've heard that 100 candlepower at workbench height is a good start. I ended up with 238 candlepower in my shop. Of course the lights dim as they get older. I've found that with the walls painted white I don't need any task lighting in my shop. My 61 year old eyes like it just the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom W Armstrong View Post
    No help on the blinds, but I would like to see MANY more pictures of your shop! It looks amazing from the outside.
    It is tough to call it a shop yet - all my tools are still in storage. We had to replace our garage after hurricane Ike, so we went with a 2 story and I claimed the upstairs. It is designed so the next owner can turn it into a garage apartment easily -- full bathroom (although small) and lots of windows to match the old house style. The french doors off the back, facing the alley, will eventually have a small roof extension and a chain hoist for lifting heavy objects upstairs.
    Attached Images Attached Images