Thread: 1st real furniture project and Sapele gloat - sort of

1st real furniture project and Sapele gloat - sort of

Okay, as I understand it a gloat has to include an absurdly great deal. Well, that isn't true here, but while not a steal, I thought the price was fair. More important, I am taking the step from cabinet and outdoor projects to furniture. No knock whatsoever on cabinet making. What I guess I am saying is that for me, I am stepping out from painted poplar and plywood to hardwood.

Thanks to Jim Becker's generous advice via PM I was referred to a number of hardwood dealers here near Philly. This sapele was bought at Wherung's. It was my first hardwood shopping and man, if you thought tools were addictive wood is something else. I really had to keep myself from going nuts. I'm saving Hearnes for a special trip some day.

The store was great. Despite studying up on all the lingo and thinking I could roughly calculate board feet by eye, I was afraid I would get looked down on or something for not knowing everything about wood. The exact opposite was true.

Originally I was going to buy some cherry, but the sapele has a nice "ribbon cut" and my 4/4 boards are awesome. I also bought shorts (7') which helped with the $. I am planning a bedside table, perhaps two, or perhaps one side table and one bedside table. It was pure torture putting back the cherry I picked out, but one has to exercise a little self control.

By posting here, I want to keep myself honest and on track (you are all witnesses). Making these projects is going to put to test everything I have been learning (most here on SMC) and practicing for the past year or so. Milling to joinery to finishing plus cutting and tapering legs, drawers... I have more than enough tools (many have done so much more with less), so time to get to work. Well, how about as soon as this wood acclimates to my shop?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dean Karavite; 06-13-2010 at 3:44 PM.

P.S. This wood seems pretty dry (no meter), so do I need to worry about sticker stain?

no worries. its dry enough.
    Fullerbuilt