Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tool Covers (Tool Companies please read)

thanks for all the comments - guess i'm in the minority when it comes to covering tools!

James, I think many people probably never thought about covering their machinery.

As I indicated I have a cover for my jointer because of my cats, I also have fabric pads on top of the shop base cabinets, so they don't get scratched, as well as keeping round objects from rolling off onto the floor.

The other machinery in my shop isn't covered, although it's not a bad idea to protect them from glue, stain etc.

My jointer cover is a flat piece of fabric with a 4" skirt, to keep it on the jointer. It doesn't cover the jointer base, just the infeed/outfeed table.

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    ........ The cats don't get on the other machines, however they feel that the jointer is the purrrfect place to be when supervising my workshop activities........
    They say there are many ways to skin a cat - in all honesty, I never thought about using powered machines to do it

Just kidding - I'm a cat lover. Neighbors have 3, and 2 of them like nothing more, as they are roaming Middle Earth protecting us, than to wander into my open shop door and take a quick look around for Orcs.

On tool covers - I doubt the day will come when I decide I need more stuff that doesn't make sawdust laying around in my way in the shop - opening + closing the blast gates is enough work for me to do when I want to fire up a machine. Personal preference, of course.

I do cover the whatever machine with cardboard sheets (7-yr-old broken-flat moving boxes with a wide pallette of dye, filler, and stain colors on one side) when i need one for a finishing table. ALso - some small masonite pieces on the jointer table ends only because it is too convenient a "temporary storage flat surface". Boeshield, wax, etc. on stuff and it's fine. ATL July-August is in the "humid" category for sure - not New Orleans level, but still........
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I try not to coddle my machines. It'll turn them imto sissies

I live near the coast in the Pacific Northwest and humidity is a problem year round. I have coated the surface of my table saw, lathe beds, etc. with a light coating of spar varnish. Upon drying I lightly sand with 220 grit. This seals the pores of the metal and has elimated any rust problems. I use spray cans of Minwax Helmsman spar varnish, but I think any brand would work well.

I live in SoCol less than a mile from to ocean, and just keep iron surfaces waxed, never even thought about covers. I am also in the camp that throws out plastic tool cases. Only exception is Festool. Once I make enough cabinets, I will probably sell those cases too. I was suprised the first time I saw how much the empty Festool cases cost. Wish they sold the tools without the case...

Had a Jet JJ-6CS jointer that sat in the garage unused for couple years. Upstate NY. Insulated garage but not heated. With all the temperature and humidity swings it rusted up pretty bad. I'm refurbing it now. At the same time another identical jointer sat in my basement (which is partially heated in winter and dehumidified in summer) for years and rusted even worse! I'm refurbing that now also. Thinking about a cover. I draped an old cloth sleeping bag over the one in the garage. Check back with me in 2 years and I will tell you what the results of the experiment are. From reading this post it sounds as if nobody really knows anything definitive about this.

I put an old mattress pad (like a quilted blanket) on my riding lawnmower in winter, and my snowblower in summer ... at minimum it keeps them clean , which they would not be at all if left uncovered and I think keeps condensation off them.
    Last edited by Davee Baker; 01-09-2021 at 8:29 PM.

My point would be why not? Highly profitable to make custom over-priced covers. I'd buy them.
    Regards,

Tom

I noticed this thread is 10 yrs old but the topic still seems germane.

Please help me understand? I cant quite see how covers - breathable or not - prevent tools from rusting. It seems like moist air will get under the cover regardless, and so condenation will occur. Is the thinking that the condensation clings to the top layer - the cover - and doesnt make contact with the surface?

(As far as materials go, I dont think Tyvec is breathable, is it? I'd be inclined to try a cotton sheet or maybe moving blankets.)

I dunno.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Groenke View Post
    It's easy to make custom covers with some Tyvek and a sewing machine (some duct tape if you're too MANLY to use a sewing machine): makes a great, cheap, breathable cover.

-kg
    you can get a manly sewing machine. My Sailrite can sew through just about anything. You never know when you are going to have to sew a couple of shingles together...

Never thought of covering my machines. Although, here in Florida, good rust protection must be on the surfaces at all times, even though my shop is very well climate controlled.

Regarding cats, do you love them? Because if you do, I have a few really good recipes. Most people screw up the braising part. Slow cooking is best....
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I live in Minnesota with an attached unheated garage so winter temperature variation can be significant. I had a rarely used 30 yr old Craftsman table saw in the garage and I found that simply laying some of that felt-backed outdoor tablecloth fabric across the top eliminated most all rust issues.

I NEVER used to cover my tools, they were used too often and didn't seem to rust. I replaced my 40 year old Unisaw with a SawStop and started seeing rust from one day to the other, that saw is awesome but I think the cast iron is garbage compared to 40 year old Unisaw cast iron, it rusts quite easily. I got a Zerust cover for it and its pretty quick on/off and has stopped the rust. I can keep my saw covered since I don't use it that much lately, in the middle of a car restoration project, I might only use the saw once a week right now and the cover protected it from overspray when I painted the car (a unplanned plus).

14. [QUOTE=Benny Harris;1385585]This is the big question I have: What material would "breathe?" Does Tyvek breathe?

Cheesecloth

15. Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    I try not to coddle my machines. It'll turn them imto sissies
    I pat baby powder on my tools to help keep them in new condition. They are just for looks afterall