Thread: Laser cut acrylic jewelry

Question Laser cut acrylic jewelry

I know I read somewhere here, but cannot find it now. I want to make some of the acrylic jewelry that is laser cut. Does anyone know how to bake it after it is cut? Any other advise on cut acrylic jewelry would be much appreciated. In fact, any advice and hints would be appreciated! I am still in the "learning curve" after mostly doing sublimation items. Thanks!!

Check on etsy.com: using "laser cut acrylic jewelry" in the search box coughs up about 1000 hits. Most of that stuff is "cut and hang", no baking or bending required.

I think the thread you're remembering was about rings, so adding that to your search string on this forum may help. (There was another thread here where somebody posted a link to some stuff on an Etsy shop, but looking for it won't be that easy: I don't thing the search engine looks at links.)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Just do not forget that you need CAST acrylic, not extruded.

In our region "jewellry" from plywood is very popular
    www.lasegra.lt - pictures on bottom.
    http://www.graviravimas.eu/ - scroll first page from top to bottom
    GCC Dealer in Baltic countries

There was a lot of good info in this post too.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=95966
    Scott Challoner
    30W LaserPro Spirit (Need more power)
    30W Wisely Fiber Galvo

Thanks everyone. The thread I was referring to was about how to make bracelets. She cut them and baked them. I cannot remember how she did this. Also, guess I need to re-read some stuff, cuz I don't know the difference between acrylic and extruded...Like I said, I am still learning!!!

Scott, I just look at your link and that is what I was reading...thanks!!

Blog Entries
    I believe Dee was the one... I remember a really slick looking bracelet made to look like a piece of movie film strip.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Viktor Voroncov View Post
    Just do not forget that you need CAST acrylic, not extruded.
    Ok, I'll bite: why?

I know cast engraves better, but most of this stuff is just vector-cut and then (in some cases) heated and bent. AFAIK, extruded works fine for that.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynthia Block View Post
    how to bake it after it is cut?
    There are several easy ways to bend it. If you live at around sea level, boiling water may be hot enough. If not then try antifreeze. The concentrated stuff and not the pre-mix. The boiling point of Ethylene Glycol from memory is about 375-F. Use a candy thermometer to hold it around 250-F. You can re-use the anti-freeze but be warned, if ingested, it can be poisonous to humans and animals. Pans will wash OK in the dishwasher.

Alternatively put it in the oven at about 250-F but watch it closely as there is a fine line between bending and melting. Essentially you are almost melting it to bend it.
    Dave J
    Forums: Where all too often, logic is the first casualty.

Extruded will be more prone to stress crack , a problrm with fine filligree type pieces , however it also depends on what type of material you want to use and whether its actually available in cast or extruded.
    I dont see why you would want to bake anything unless you want to extensively form it or you actually want to fabricate perspex items like beads and then you need both heat and pressure - something you cant really DIY.

if you want to bend it , get a line bender or a bending heat strip. To form or drape form it , use temps of 170c for extruded and 180c for cast - use a convection oven for this.
    Dave , pex wont actually melt at the temps above, it becomes almost rubberised , if you have got to a point where the pex bubbles etc , its gonners and the heat is way to high. You wont be able to get to 170 degrees c with water or antifreeze , and antifreeze is something I wouldnt mess with.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

We sell heat benders from kidder.ca - really good quality and affordable.

Concerning cast/extruded - Lee- you are right, engraving on extruded looks better, but during cutting extruded acrylic very often small cracks happened.
    GCC Dealer in Baltic countries

You may be thinking about the work by Jackie McGowan. See this thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=95966
    Rudy

45-WATT Epilog Mini-24, CorelDraw X6,
    Wacom Intuos Tablet, Flame Polisher
    George Knight DC16 Heat Press
    BJ890 Muli-Function Mug Press
    Ricoh GX e3300n printer
    Vacc-U-Press VP3030

Blog Entries
    Ah, Jackie... that was it... I knew my mind was going, I just didn't realize it had already packed its bags.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5