Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member with a big question (well, maybe several)

New member with a big question (well, maybe several)

Hi everyone.

Well, the question is big to me at least.

I discovered this forum a couple of weeks ago and have been reading the comments and find them very informative and it seemed like a nice place to call home. So here I am.

I'm a beginning wood worker. I've done plenty of molding and wainscoting projects over the years, but nothing as big and interesting as the things I've decided to do now. We have a nice big house that is begging for bookcases, entertainment cetners, orginazation centers for kids, etc... Based on the cost of the built-ins in the study, I'd be looking at $50k of projects. Can't afford that and think it would be fun to do them myself. After all, since having the baby, there's no more time for sports cars and motorcycles, so woodworking will be my new hobby. I can't wait and show's like NY Workshop and Wood Works have inspired me to do even more one day.

Background is that I have basic tools power tools. All ordinary with the exception of the miter saw which is a PC 255L. Some are tired and others not good enough for this kind of work, so I'm practically starting from scratch. No tablesaw, jointer, drill press or machinery.

I've thought about how to get started and the budget and decided on what you would expect - tablesaw, jointer, planer, drill press, maybe sander and a few new hand tools. Like probably everyone, I don't have a lot of free time, so I decided that I should buy all quality tools that will help me, not hurt me. I'm sure I'll make plenty of mistakes, but want tools that will help avoid them, not cause more of them. Convenience is an issue too to minimize setup and fussing time. So that's been my train of thought so far. Figured a few thousand would be my max spend, but less is better.

That's the background and since I've typed a lot, I think I'll ask the question in a new post.

Thanks for the forum, the great wealth of information and I hope to be a contributor soon enough.

all the best,
    Rob
    Mt. Laurel, NJ

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Welcome Rob, Glad to have you wading in the creek, love to see some of your work and glad you found us.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Welcome to the 'Creek Rob! Take and leave info as you see fit!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Welcome to the Creek. There was a Popular Woodworking article in the October issue about setting up a shop on $1500, and also on a little more. It looked like a good article. I believe it's in the issue with our own Donnie Raines on the cover. You might go to their website and look for it in their back issues. WWW.popularwoodworking.com.

Rob:

Here's my two cents worth-- I too, and starting to build my shop and have determined that I need:

14" band saw (Grizzly, Delta, Jet, etc)
    10" table saw (contractor grade but prefer cabinet saw)
    6" jointer
    lathe
    13" thickness planer
    Stanley #4 hand plane
    Stanley #93 shoulder plane
    good set of top-quality chisels
    dovetail saw
    circular saw
    Router with assortment of bits
    cordless drill
    Mortiser and/or drill press
    Miter saw
    sander (4" wide, floor or bench) and 6" grinder
    palm sander
    lots of clamps- the more the better
    scour ebay for every good old hand tools you can find!
    the list keeps getting longer, the more I think about it.
    Regarding quality- I agree with your post in that quality is probably more important than quantity right now. I am in the situation where I have a number of hand-me-down or cheap tools that I need to replace. I made the mistake of buying some things at Harbor Freight or equivalent that are sub-par once you realize what you are doing. Also, I have a few Craftsman tools that I was given that I need to upgrade to better quality. If price is an issue, and it always is- I would probably buy from Grizzly or find reconditioned Delta or Jet.

I think you should know how to do every project completely by hand- meaning you need to focus on having the proper skills to use hand planes, chisels, files, etc. to do all of your work. Power tools were meant to speed some of these tasks along and make things easier but, not to completely replace them. If you have the proper hand tools, you can always add good power tools later, as you develop and as your budget allows.

Most of the fun that I get out of woodworking is the learning process. That means you have to be willing to make mistakes in order to grow. Also, never skimp on safety. Losing a finger sure would put a damper on the "fun" of woodworking.

I'm interested to hear what actual professionals have to say. I'm just a weekend woodworker that is trying to improve. However, I was fortunate to grow up in a woodworking family so, even though I didn't necessarily show any interest growing up, I think some of it sunk in by osmosis. Now, at 32, I am trying to play catch-up to the things I should have learned long ago. I hope this helps.

Ernie Hobbs
    Madison, AL

Welcome Rob.

Don't feel intimidated. We all had to start somewhere. My best advise is to research what ever you are trying to do then do it. Next do an evaultion after the fact to determine what you did wrong (if anyting) then learn from it and keep going. After all it's only wood and time inviolved. If it isn't right then do it again.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Rob,

If you feel there are 50k worth of projects you would like to tackle, then there is room for some very nice tools in you plans and still save tons from that figure for your tools and the projects. Many of us got into this bag for just the same reason. We looked at what we might need to spend to put some of those improvements in place and decided we could do it ourselves for a lot less, have some fun, and acquire the tools to do more. So keep asking questions. There are folks with amazing knowledge around here. You may wind up spending more on a specific tool because most of us value quality and will encourage you in that direction, but you will also wind up saving money by making fewer uninformed decisions. Welcome aboard, but be forewarned. This can be an addictive place to hang out.

Greg

Welcome to the Creek Rob! You'll find a wealth of info here and a bunch of great people. My take on your situation is to look hard at Grizzly's equipment when comparing with other makes if you are sold on all new machinery. If not, I find the best deals in the paper and even a few on ebay.

It's also beneficial to watch the classifieds here and on Woodnet. I've found several deals by doing this.

One more thing, you will be addicted very soon if you're not already. You're smart to think you can do the same work for less, just realize it will take a whole lot longer!!

Thanks

Thanks for the welcome and input everyone. I look forward to a long and productive association.

All the best,
    Rob

Book cases, and built ins are often made from plywood. The trim is solid, but you could build lots of cabinets without a jointer and a planner for starters. I've been assembling my shop for fifteen years, and purchase the best I can afford when I need the tool.

I would suggest setting up a list of projects and determining what tools you would need. Then select one project based on the tools you can afford at that moment, and complete a project. I always get a professional quote and then track expenses. Often times, I can buy the supplies and the tools for the same amount. It helps with SWMBO to show those numbers.
    Last edited by Steve Roxberg; 11-12-2004 at 2:08 PM.

Welcome to Saw Mill Creek Rob!

I agree with Steve's advice. Don't go out and purchase a tools now but, rather, purchase good tools as you need them.

About 25 years ago, I built a library in my basement and it has about 25 feet of floor to ceiling built-in bookcases and display shelves. This was built with only a contractor table saw, a dado-blade set for same, an electric hand drill, an electric palm sander, and 4 pipe clamps. The shelves are solid pine (rather than plywood as suggested by Steve) and I remain proud of them to this day.

Hi Rob,

I'm constantly amazed by what my Grandfather built with a Craftsman bench saw, circular saws, and a few hand saws. My sugestion is start building things with what you have and buy stuff as you find it used in good condition or as you have a specific need for a tool. If you have a lot of case work to do I would recommend the Kreg jig kit as one of your first purchases. There are some good antique tool sales down around you.

Check out Todd Burch's post for built-in and wood pannel ideas.

Read, have fun and remember lots of pics
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Tools

[QUOTE=Frank Pellow]Welcome to Saw Mill Creek Rob!

I agree with Steve's advice. Don't go out and purchase a tools now but, rather, purchase good tools as you need them. (QUOTE)

Rob,
    I totally agree with Frank and Steve. Don't go out and splatter your money around for a pile of tools that someone else may have.

Many years ago when we were first married, my wife and I agreed that if I were to be expected to do "things around the house", I would be allowed to buy the "right" tool for the job without any serious discussion. The agreement has worked out great. I've got a bunch of SUPER tools and I've done a LOT of "things around the house".

Trying to use the "wrong" tool not only results in inferior work but it also takes a lot more time and, worst of all, can be very dangerous.

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

Walk around with a list of tools in your pocket for several weeks....
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    Walk around with a list of tools in your pocket for several weeks....
    Naa...it would just end up in the dryer filter!