Thread: Need help with veneers

Question Need help with veneers

i am building a 20ft speed boat from a clarkcraft kit and have the plywood deck on the boat. I would like the top of the boat to be mahogony and am thinking of veneering the top.

The deck is 3/8" ply screwed / epoxyed to the hull. The original plans have the deck sanded and covered with a layer of 6-7 oz glass and then wetted out with epoxy follwed by sanding / varnish etc etc. I do not like the look of the ply but also do not wnat to paint the top.

I would like to understand how I could apply a mahogony veneer to the ply and then glass / epoxy on top of that to get a nice wood looking finish. The structure would be difficult to clamp the veneer down on vacuum bag so contact adhesive would be the best way i think. I am looking at veneers 4" wide and placing on the ply in strips at 45 deg to the center line.

Any input / experience uisng veneers like this under would be a real help. I have no experience with veneers at all and the all the information out there is difficult to understand what will really work for waht I want to do.

Hanover NH or Jensen Beach FL or somewhere in between
    Andrew, how thick is the mahogany veneer you plan to use? Vacuum bagging is the ideal method (perhaps the only practical method); sealing the bag around or over almost any shape is do-able. I wouldn't consider any adhesive but epoxy appropriate for your application.

Old, fat guy on the set of "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" October '09

andrew how large a surface are you doing?

can you remove that section to veneer it or do you want to veneer over the screws.

is the serface curved

i veneer old sewing machine cabinets with the largest pieces being 2'x3'.i've tried several methods of veneering and will be glad to share my methods results but i am no expert.