Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice.

Need advice.

Hi everyone, I have a couple questions I figured someone could help me with. First, what is the best way to cut larger pieces of corian down for pen blanks, or bottle stoppers etc. Second, what is the best glue to use, CA, epoxy, silicone, or? I want to also use some for inlays, what glue would be best for that?
    Thanks for your help, I appreciate it!
    Chris

What! There's no coffee!!?

Cut with any saw you have

Chris, I cut my corian with the bandsaw, jigsaw, scrollsaw, tablesaw and smooth sides with the planer or a hand plane. It is pretty easy to work with all around. I use CA when I am making pens or gluing different colors together it works very well. I think if I was making a larger piece like a bowl or something I would use epoxy just for the longer drying time and a little more shock absorbing qualities.

Hope this helps,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

I would leave the scroll saw off the list. DAMHIKT When glueing pieces together CA is acceptable. I always clamp and let dry overnight. For glueing tubes into pen blanks I never use anything except Gorilla Glue.

One thing not mentioned - Corian dust can be very toxic.

Frank beat me to it. Wear breathing protection when cutting corian. I use a bandsaw for cutting mine Chris. Also I use epoxy if I glue it to wood as a inlay but if glueing together CA will work. I also use epoxy when glueing pen blanks.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Frank, could you please tell me what in Corian (or any solid surface material)is toxic??

I typically use my little band saw when cutting corian. I have used a bench sander to square the ends, but also hand sand on a piece of 80 grit sandpaper on top of an old granite tile. Medium CA or epoxy both work for gluing it up.

I typically only use gorilla glue with wood because it uses moisture to bond. There is not much moisture in plastic.... I use epoxy on everything non-wood.

If you are only going to make a small slimline, you can get away with a 1/2" thick piece of corian. Just make sure you can drill a straight hole!

Oh, I always have my dust collector running right behind my lathe when turning pens; whether its any kind of plastic or wood.

When glueing up corian or other man made laminate material I stick with CA. For me the epoxy glue line in the joint always showed up. With CA the glue line was invisable...Bill..

Bandsaw and CA for me... Whenever possible, I use the perfect factory surface for my glue joints.

Thin CA will wick into the joints so I clamp and apply thin CA to the joint on both sides. Just glueing two pieces. Usually cut with band saw but would not use my best blade. Seems to dull the blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Mikits View Post
    Frank, could you please tell me what in Corian (or any solid surface material)is toxic??
    Methyl Methacrylate
    Butyl Acrylate

From Corian® Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)

Potential Health Effects

"Corian" Solid Surface Material is not hazardous as shipped.
    However, operations such as sawing, routing, drilling and
    sanding can generate dust. High concentrations of dust can
    irritate eyes, nose and respiratory passages and cause
    coughing and sneezing. Since there are no exposure limits
    established for dust from "Corian" Solid Surface Material,
    DuPont recommends using the exposure limits for polymethyl
    methacrylate. (See details in the Exposure Controls/
    Personal Protection Section of this MSDS.)

"Corian" Solid Surface Material does not offgas at room
    temperature. At higher temperatures, small amounts of
    methyl methacrylate and butyl acrylate can be released, the
    amounts of which are dependent upon temperature, time and
    other variables.

Methyl methacrylate and butyl acrylate vapors can irritate
    eyes, skin, nose and throat and can cause allergic skin
    rashes. Overexposure to vapors of methyl methacrylate can
    cause headache, nausea, weakness and lung irritation with
    cough, discomfort and shortness of breath.

Individuals with preexisting diseases of the lungs or skin
    may have increased susceptibility to the effects of
    overexposure to methyl methacrylate or butyl acrylate.

Frank/Bernie,
    I don't dispute the need to utilize respiratory protection in dust producing environments. However, the statement regarding toxicity of Corian dust seems in direct contradiction with the manufacturer's (Dupont) literature.

The following are excerpts from Dupont's Corian Fabrication Manual.

Page 19 - "Although Corian® dust is nontoxic, all dust should be removed at the point of generation wherever possible."

Page 253 - "Fine particles that may be generated during certain fabrication operations with Corian® fall within the category of nuisance dusts rather than toxic dusts. The OSHA Permissible Exposure Limit (PEL) for nuisance dust is 5 mg/m3 (respirable fraction) or 15 mg/m3 total dust (29 CFR 1910.1000, Table Z3). Local ventilation and collection should be used to minimize dust concentrations in breathing zones of workers. When available ventilation is inadequate to keep dust levels below these limits, a properly fitted particulate respirator approved by NIOSH/MSHA* for this use should be worn. The American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH) has established a TLV for Nuisance Particulates of 10 mg/m3. As of September 1987, OSHA has not changed its Permissible Exposure Limit (PEL) for either the total or respirable fraction."

I do a lot of work with Corian and would be interested in any information you have that supports your statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Morris View Post
    Frank/Bernie,
    I don't dispute the need to utilize respiratory protection in dust producing environments. However, the statement regarding toxicity of Corian dust seems in direct contradiction with the manufacturer's (Dupont) literature.
    What I posted is from Dupont's literature. Specifically Corian® Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)

Here's where you can look at it for yourself: http://www2.dupont.com/Surfaces_Comm...ORIAN_MSDS.pdf

Sorry if Dupont's different pamphlets contradict each other, but I didn't print them, just posted them for your informatiuon.

For my part, any time I work with Corian I take the same precautions I do with toxic woods like Cocobolo.

Frank,
    I don't see any contradiction between Dupont's MSDS and its Fabrication Manual. They both indicate that the Corian dust is non-toxic. Admittedly, there are are some compounds in the raw materials that are hazardous, but that does not make the final product toxic.

The MSDS, under Potential Health Effects, states: "Corian" Solid Surface Material is not hazardous as shipped. However, operations such as sawing, routing, drilling and sanding can generate dust. High concentrations of dust can irritate eyes, nose and respiratory passages and cause coughing and sneezing."

This would not constitute the dust being toxic. Again, I agree with you that individuals should utilize respiratory protection when working around Corian dust, but not because it is toxic.

OSHA defines a toxic chemical (respiratory) as "A chemical that has a median lethal concentration (LC50) in air of more than 200 parts per million but not more than 2,000 parts per million by volume of gas or vapor, or more than two milligrams per liter but not more than 20 milligrams per liter of mist, fume, or dust, when administered by continuous inhalation for one hour (or less if death occurs within one hour) to albino rats weighing between 200 and 300 grams each." (ref. Code of Federal Regulations, Title 29, Part 1910.1200, Appendix A)

The full quote from Dupont's Corian® Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) includes

"Corian" Solid Surface Material does not offgas at room
    temperature. At higher temperatures, small amounts of
    methyl methacrylate and butyl acrylate can be released, the
    amounts of which are dependent upon temperature, time and
    other variables.

Methyl methacrylate and butyl acrylate vapors can irritate
    eyes, skin, nose and throat and can cause allergic skin
    rashes. Overexposure to vapors of methyl methacrylate can
    cause headache, nausea, weakness and lung irritation with
    cough, discomfort and shortness of breath.

Individuals with preexisting diseases of the lungs or skin
    may have increased susceptibility to the effects of
    overexposure to methyl methacrylate or butyl acrylate.

I posted this at the beginning of this discussion in reply to Jason's question. It does seem to indicate that the "final product" can give off potentially hazardous vapors at higher temperatures (such as may be generated by sawing, sanding, etc.).

You can nitpick about dust and toxins all you want, but the bottom line is that Corian dust/vapors/whatever are potentially hazardous to your health. What you choose to do about it is an individual decision.
    Last edited by Frank Van Atta; 03-24-2010 at 1:38 PM.