Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Color Printer recommendations

Color Printer recommendations

Hi

I use a lot of graphics in conjuction with my laser, e.g. I print a sheet of graphics then use the laser to cut around them.

Forgive me for being a little OT but I'm hoping the collective wisdom here might point me in the right direction for a new color printer. I've been using an HP 932 deskjet, but its basically a money eater. The cartridges always run out of the red color ink quickly and I have to buy a new set.

Is there an economical color printer for commercial use? Graphics need to be nice and sharp.

Thanks!
    Dave
    Epilog 35 W 12x24
    Adobe Illustrator
    Dell PC

Blog Entries
    I've always been a huge supporter of HP and their great build quality... until recently. I "upgraded" my lowly 612C for one of their wireless models so I could get the printer off of my desk. The 612C used a single black and a single CMY cartridge, whereas the new one used a separate cartridge for all four colors that are piped into a separate print head. I don't use the printer very often, but the 612C was always ready to go with a clear print... the new one clogs almost immediately if you don't use it every day. A real waste of money, and a shame they couldn't get it to act like the 612C
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I bought a Konica Minolta Laser Magicolor - can't be beat for quality, speed and actually it only costs about 1 cent per copy even though YES the toner cartridges are expensive to start out with...but they print forever it seems.

No it's not a $59 lexmark, but hey those have their place too - just buy a new printer every time you run out of ink. It's cheaper than buying cartridges.

dee

ps- Epson has superior quality printers, but you don't get a new nozzle with each cartridge, so they will eventually wear out and you're done with that printer. It's the only brand I know of that does this. Too bad, because they are fantastic.
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Gallo View Post
    Epson has superior quality printers, but you don't get a new nozzle with each cartridge, so they will eventually wear out and you're done with that printer. It's the only brand I know of that does this.
    My Brother all-in-one works that way too: the cartridges are down in the base and don't move with the head. The other side of the coin is that the cartridges can be a lot bigger if they don't have to slam from side to side on every pass.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Gallo View Post
    ps- Epson has superior quality printers, but you don't get a new nozzle with each cartridge, so they will eventually wear out and you're done with that printer. It's the only brand I know of that does this. Too bad, because they are fantastic.
    They are commonly used for sublimation also.We buy the cheapest we can find, (Epson C88+) due to the clogging problem (usually magenta inks). We can get a printer for less than $100, and just factor the cost into the job.

Mark
    ULS X-2 660, Corel X3, Haas VF4, Graphtec vinyl cutter, Xenetech rotaries (3), Dahlgren Tables, Gorton P2-3, New Hermes pantographs (2), and recently, 24" x 36" chinese router. Also do sublimation, sand blasting, & metal photo. Engraver since 1975.

Ink refill kit?
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Rod- Have you ever used one? They are awful! At best, they are a complete mess, but at worst they leak all over the place. Better to get a brand you can have refilled at Office Max, but the ink isn't as nice.
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

There is a place called Cartridge World that sells refilled cartridges a bit more than half of the retail cost.

You can buy an aftermarket bulkfeed systems for some of the printers, but they have their issues to.

I would buy a basic printer, forget all the extras, cd printer, 6 colors (more cartridges to buy), scanner etc, it's just more to go wrong.

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Cartridge World ... I tried them twice, and twice the cartridges failed to work properly. My dog came out green. Total waste of money.

Mark I'm wondering if maybe my magenta cartridge is just clogged. Swab it with alcohol or what?

Is there any significant difference between an ink jet and a color laser printer?

Dave
    Epilog 35 W 12x24
    Adobe Illustrator
    Dell PC

Quote Originally Posted by David Fairfield View Post
    Cartridge World ... I tried them twice, and twice the cartridges failed to work properly. My dog came out green. Total waste of money.

Mark I'm wondering if maybe my magenta cartridge is just clogged. Swab it with alcohol or what?

Is there any significant difference between an ink jet and a color laser printer?

Dave
    Dave,

I have both printers - the main obvious difference is that you do not get the lines on a laser printer that you get from an inkjet, since there is no back and forth head movement. The only time you get streaks is when your mirror is dirty and that's a 2 second swipe to clean.

Depending on the quality of the paper you put in them, you can get excellent quality prints from both, but my preference is the laser for crisp lines and true color.

If your head is clogged, spray simple green on a Q-tip and touch the head. Maybe a few times with a clean tip each time. Sometimes it helps to wipe the inside contact but be careful not to press hard. The machine's cleaning process SHOULD clear a clog, but it will use up a lot of ink in the process. And you might have to repeat it several times before it works. AND, as mentioned by someone before, if it sits there for a week without being used, your head will be clogged on at least one color. I hate that.

Toners are a lot less trouble. My last set lasted me over a year and I use my printer every day for full page graphics.

cheers, dee

ps - I have an all-in-one ink jet, which I use mainly for scanning, but this is the printer I use for decals - the inkjet ones come out far better than the laser ones.
    Last edited by Dee Gallo; 03-23-2010 at 2:29 PM.

Red Coin Mah Jong

I also use a cart refill place for non critical work and for my kids and my home printers.
    Did try a refill kit once , the inks werent bad , but it sure WAS messy....
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

If Photo Quality is important, The only way to go is Epson. I was a pro photographer in another life. I traveled all over the country covering racing events. I did this for about seven years and tried every printer on the market. The ones I used are the Epson R800 and R1800 because they use the same ink. A Epson C88+ and Epson 1400 for sublimation work. For wide format look at the older Epson 7600 Printer. Does great work and you can get them under $1000.00 now. In fact I am getting ready to put mine online for sale, simply because I don't use it enough anymore. Great Printers as long as you use them, don't let them set.

Gene
    Gene H
    Epilog Helix 45watt

Dave,
    Your should consider a laser printer. The ink does not dry nor clog up. You cant get the bright contrast in color compared to a inkjet but the newer ones are very close. I got a Xerox Phaser 6180 for ~$250 and the ink that came with it lasted for 3000 pages it was many years for me. I am looking for new ink and I am considering buying one more new printer.

Kim

14. I have been looking at a flatbed printer (from china) http://www.iehk.net/Products/FBP_ecA3.html
    They cost a little more than an ordinary printer but the ink is cheap, and they can print on many different materials up to 150mm (about 6") thick.

DO NOT BUY THIS!!!!!!
    You will have endless trouble , I bought one based on the same epson 890/1290 heads/platform and it never worked reliably , the issue is the heads which clog big time and cant handle the types of inks needed to be used with this type of machine.
    To print on anything , the inks have to be a solvent type or eco solvent type (eco wont print on anything either), if you use stock inks , EVERYTHING has to be coated with an ink receptive coating. Solvent inks will kill your heads , pumps , tubing etc. I cannot see how the inks they specify will adhere to "anything" , I use large format printers and know inks and ink technology quite well.
    When mine worked , it did work well , but I spent a lot of money and about 10x the amount of time it printed on repairing it and coaxing it back to life.
    YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!!
    Last edited by Rodne Gold; 03-24-2010 at 3:32 AM.