Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Color Printer recommendations

[QUOTE=Dee Gallo;1380909

<snip>
    ps- Epson has superior quality printers, but you don't get a new nozzle with each cartridge, so they will eventually wear out and you're done with that printer. It's the only brand I know of that does this. Too bad, because they are fantastic.[/QUOTE]

I'm not a graphics pro so take this for what it's worth. The last two printers I've bought have fixed ink tanks. HP Photosmart 7400 series and Brother 6490CW. The HP Photosmart has refillable cartridges in it.http://cgi.ebay.com/Refillable-ink-C...item5881e81a8a

They do seem to work. I found out that they all have to be installed at the same time, not as they go empty. They have plugs so just remove the plug, squirt some ink in and replace the plug. The ink gauge does seem to work. They list refillables for other brands as well, including Epson and the chips autoreset. How good is the ink? I have no idea.

The biggest problem with inks is how the pigment is ground , cheap inks will have larger and more coarsely ground particles and will clog heads , pumps , dampers etc and will settle out of suspension quicker and give rise to other problems. In all probability you will never achieve perfect colour.

At any rate , the real problem will be pigment fading in respect of what we do , especially under UV exposure

To achieve perfect colour workflow is hugely expensive ...way more than any printers cost. Best most printers can do is kinda get close

If you are printing for ad agencies who are pernickety about the Nth degree of pantone match , you need to have a real complex setup.
    I use expensive OEM bulk inks in my large format printers - design is done on a CRT that is in a room with a specific colour and intensity of lighting , we use spiders to calibrate the screen , use a Wasatch RIP and have profiles for EVERY type and brand of media used and have to do test prints every few days to check heads , even have to compensate for temp and humidity...it's a misson.!!!
    My best small printers are my Canon Photoprinters and they use a HUGE amt of inks , 8 small carts and most of the inks are used in their self cleaning cycles they go thru every now and then , they do deliver archival quality prints but at a huge cost.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Rodne, your right about color management for commercial and agency work.

Color management is a science in itself. and in agency work you not only have to take in your color management, but also take into consideration what light sources and conditions it will be displayed in.

Gratefully most of us will never deal with that in our industry. Beware if you pick up agency and commercial work and if you do, make sure that both you and the client have a clear understanding on the work.

For us, in this industry an Epson or HP are good bets. think of these printers though as basically disposable. I had Epson Tech Support tell me that directly. On a 1400, 13 months old I was told to buy a new one, even though the issue was a faulty switch on the CD printing tray.

After contacting corporate, they agreed to send a refurb. which is working fine for now. In my mind I'm sure I'll have to replace it though within the year as they aren't built to last.

What I have a hard time with is ink costs, give me a break, why do they have to make a new cartridge for each printer? Why isn't that part modular? One word Profits!

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Well thats how they got you ...by the inks...the printers themselves are the give aways.
    What I have found is that the real cheapy printers also only come with a sort of demo cart - it hardly lasts.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Blog Entries
    To this day, the Sony PlayStation 3 hardware is sold at a loss (something like $50-$75/machine these days, though it was over $200/machine in the early days). They make the money back through licensing fees for the games. The same game is played with printer hardware and the inks, and since they make so much profit on the inks, a number of cartridges now include a chip that prevents refills (without hacking)... the printer sees the cartridge as empty, regardless of actual ink content.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5