Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Repair of My "Flying Grizzly 690"

Repair of My "Flying Grizzly 690"

I thought I would start a new thread to keep everyone posted as to the status of the repairs to my G0690 table saw aka the "Flying Grizzly". I don't recall which poster coin that but it is definitely appropriate. If you are not familiar with my sad sad story (with a happy ending of course) you can get the details here. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=135780

This thread will deal only with the repairs and starts after a thorough exam of all parts and any new parts have been ordered.

First efforts: (this one was covered with photos in my original tragedy post, (see link above) page 4
    )
    - Get the cabinet straightened out in preparation for new paint and parts.
    - Check mounting tabs for square and flatness. AOK
    - Straighten the brush holder that seals around the blade height adjuster.
    - Clean the mud and leaves off the table top and check it for flatness, AOK.
    - Clean all my greasy hand prints off the cabinet.

Next: (some these were completed at the same time as above)
    Inspect and repair any other parts that will be reused.
    - Rear trunnion had two nicks in slide bearing surfaces. Filed them flat with jeweler's file and made sure it slid smoothly with matting trunnion.

IMG_1205.JPG

That gets things up to today. I received the new parts today and will fill you in later on how things are going.

"The best things in life are not things."

Good luck! I hope your "Flying Grizzly" learns to stay put .

Blog Entries

Wink Flying grizzly anchor

Looking forward to watching-- I was thinking though, about you looking to build a mobile base for the flying grizzly-- maybe installing concrete anchors would be a better idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Salem Ganzhorn View Post
    Good luck! I hope your "Flying Grizzly" learns to stay put .

Are you going to bolt the saw down when you are all fixed up. Most use a mobile base but I think in your case you may want to bolt it down.

Good Luck on the rebuild.

When you bolt on the table extensions, you can tell us you gave the saw "wings". You're good disposition is a treat. Live to be 100. The world needs you.
    fmr

Good to hear that the parts are there already! Look forward to the reassembly! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

James,

Good luck with the rehab.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Here in Cincinnati we have Flying pigs. Never seen a Flying Grizzly before your mishap.

http://worldwidephotowalk.com/cincin...s-819x1024.jpg
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 03-23-2010 at 11:15 AM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I'm pretty impressed with how quick they got the parts to you. Don't think my damaged Jet would get such quick service (liked the price too).

James? Any chance your insurance covered any part of the damage?
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

James... somehow I missed the original thread. What an awful situation... you have handled it with a great sense of style. it would take me a distance of years to generate your upbeat attitude... who doesn't like a shiny, untarnished finish on any new toy? It looks like you will get it right and rain in no time... best of luck.

Parts Receipt +0 Days

This will be a summary of Yesterdays activities.

Parts Receipt:
    - Opened all the parts. Grizzly did a magnificent job of packaging them. Took a good 45 minutes just to get through all the Stretch wrap, bubble wrap and foam wrap and that was after the double layered cardboard boxes. They must have been afraid I was picking it up again.

IMG_1246.jpg
    This shows the old and new parts. New to the right except the controls.

IMG_1238.JPG
    After getting every thing unpacked I transferred the angle crank/worm gear shaft to the new front trunnion slide. Note here that if any of you have to do this to your machine the shaft only comes out in the direction of the crank handle.

IMG_1245.JPG
    The two brass dogs operated by the locking handle prevent it from being removed in the direction opposite the crank.

IMG_1243.JPG
    Here I am bench testing the mating of the new trunnion, trunnion slide, angle sector gear, and the worm gear. So far so good.

IMG_1241.JPG
    This is a test fitting of the new components to the cabinet. Dropped in the bolts to prevent things from falling then proceeded to tighten things up. Slipped the crank on temporarily and ran the trunnion back and forth (actually it would be left and right but who's quibbling). Everything seems AOK.

IMG_1250.JPG
    Just a note here. The 45* stop adjuster is probably hard to reach in an assembled saw. It is the one with the green arrow on the left. The 90 degree stop is hidden in the photo but is easier to reach through the motor cover door.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I declare that you should have a sign made for your shop of a grizzly with wings

I'd do it, but I'm not that talented!

Parts Receipt +0 Days (Cont')

This will finish up the activities for yesterday.

IMG_1251.JPG
    I have some concern here. There are two adjustments indicated by the green arrows between the ends of rear trunnion slide and the trunnion mounting brackets. I have no idea as to how to or when to adjust them. I checked with Tech Support but there is no guide for this sort of rebuild. There is probably documentation at the factory in "China" but not here. I noticed that when I tightened up the mounting bolts the angle adjust crank got just a bit stiffer to turn, not overly so but stiffer never the less. I will do some trial and error adjustments with them and see if it loosens up the cranking any. The red arrow just indicates the location of the actual mounting bolt 13mm nut. The green arrow adjusters raise and lower the ends of the trunnion slide.

If anyone one has had any experience in making these adjustments please weight in here. I can use all the help I can get.

That pretty much took care of Day 0.

Parts Receipt +1 Day
    Today has been pretty much a bust. I was hoping to get touch-up paint so that I can start permanently fastening things down. The UPS web sight said it was do to be delivered today but it's after 6 pm now and no sign. Oh well it's been too cold in the shop to work anyway. I did manage to get rid of the packaging/dunnage trash and straighten up a little. Maybe tomorrow...

Edit: I originally posted this at 6:19pm now guess what? Mr. UPS arrived sometime between then and now 7:18pm. I am going to the shop guys, catch you later.
    Last edited by James Combs; 03-23-2010 at 9:13 PM. Reason: Status update.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaze Ficarra View Post
    I declare that you should have a sign made for your shop of a grizzly with wings

I'd do it, but I'm not that talented!
    Since I gave it it's wings and since I have been beating myself up about it for a week now, I probably don't need any more permanent reminders.

This one will be enough. It will always be on the corner of the table top as my permanent reminder to use tie-downs.
    IMG_1201.JPG
    This corner put a 1 inch deep 10ft long grove in the black top before the saw left the road over an 10ft bank and hit the tree.