Thread: Considering a 1960? Delta bandsaw

Considering a 1960? Delta bandsaw

Found a ca. 1960 floor mounted Delta bandsaw on CL in Las Vegas for $100. Only indication of the age is the copyright on the manual. Probably going to go check it out tomorrow, but before I do, I was wondering if anyone had an older model Delta similar to this one and could give me some idea of costs for maintenance, problem areas to check out etc. I have been in contact with the seller but he does not have a model number, so unfortunately I can not be sure as to the exact model. Here is a link to the ad, though there is not much more information: http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/tls/1656618107.html. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer.

If its a 14" saw, It'll probably be gone by the time you call if you aren't on the way now. Even in need of a lot of work, that's a pretty good price. If its in good working order--outstanding price.

Same saw as mine. Never a problem,and much better than the new ones. Better guide rod-it is hexagonal,and thicker castings. Go for it. I got mine USED for $125.00 in 1964.

Mine is older than dirt. Don't really know how old, no serial number - the top wheel is a disc, not spoked. Good saw, snag it if you can.

Good machine, pretty much all parts are available either new or used. Check for breakage in the trunnions and the pot metal casting that carries the top wheel. The price is right for one that needs new bearings, tires, and belt as this one probably will.

As Matt said, don't waste any time checking it out, but don't get stampeded into buying it if there's something really bad about it (broken wheel for example).

PEte

Blog Entries
    What Matt said. Hope you were quick enough.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks all

I appreciate all the comments guys. My gut feeling was that it was a pretty good deal even if it needed a little repair, and I'm glad you all confirmed that. I am awaiting an email arrange a viewing, but I will keep you guys posted, hopefully in a "Tool Gloat" post

<sigh>

Well, you guys were right. It disappeared quick On the bright side, now I have first crack at the even better deal that always comes along the day after you actually do buy something on CL.

I'm going through pretty much the same deal. Trying to get some info out of a guy selling a floor model Delta DP. It's like pulling his teeth out getting any info. Afraid it'll be gone by the time he opens up.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night