Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sad Wood Gloat

Sad Wood Gloat

It's a sad wood gloat but it's wood none the less.

I was out with my neighbour looking at cherry trees in his bush. He is taking out a lot of cedars for fence posts and is going to put in a trail through that part of the bush. There were a few big cherry trees in there and wanted to know if I wanted to buy them. It was a no brainer for me as I've wanted to get my hands on some cherry for a while. One of the cherry trees even had a nice burl on the side of it. Anyways long story short he cut them down and brought them to my house this afternoon and they are FULL of CRACKS all the way through the tree. I don't see any salad bowls or any bowls for that matter in this whole tree with all the cracks. The cracks are so bad that when I cut the ends off of the logs to clean up the cut and anchorseal them the off cuts just break into three pieces. This was a living tree when he brought it down today so I don't know how it cracked so bad. He even said that the tree had a fairly soft landing as it rolled off of other trees on the way down.

Any ideas what else besides bowls I can make with this? It's lots of pen blanks if I wanted to cut them up and sell them. I guess pepper mills and such but All I want to make is bowls....my addiction is bowls :-)

Pictures attached. As you can see the one cherry log is massive. My chainsaw sits in front of it and it has a 20" bar on it.

Now I have 300.00 worth of logs in my yard and I can't even make a bowl out of them. :-(

See what I mean it's a sad wood gloat.
    Attached Images Attached Images

that is sad , i am not sure if that would be wind shakes or not

You may be able to salvage some bowls from those logs if you cut it into workable lengths and then split it along the cracks. The only cracks I see are extending out from the pith... think of them as guides to the size of your blanks rather than cracks. The sad part is that you had to pay for it, but I think you can get a lot of blanks from what you bought.

Jonathan,

You have a lot of good bowl wood there. Wow 20" even tho it has cracks
    use them split the wood down the cracks. 1/3 of that is what someone do the math.
    That is still vary respectable for a bowl. Most of the Cherry i have is only 6" to 8" logs.

Good luck hope to see some bowls soon
    Eric

That looks a lot better than you describe but seeing them in person is a different, I admit. I would look at peppermills, boxes and end-grain hollowforms if it is no good for bowls.

When life hands you lemons, make smaller bowls.

Sad..Sad,

I was out working in the backyard yesterday and the neighbor that lives behind us came over. We park are cars in the rear of the back yard. She said they would going to have some trees taken down this week and we might want to move our cars out of the way, just in case.

There are four 65' wild cherry trees along the back of thier fence line. They are all going to come down and stump grounded.

First question, "Can I has a few pieces??" She said no her son had already spoken for all of it.

I asked if he was a woodworker or wood turning. She no, he has a fire place and likes the smell of cherry burning. It is all going to be burned.

Oh me........what can you do.

Rob

Too bad you had to pay so much for it. Smaller bowls perhaps or lots of spindles. Do you like spool beds?

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Smith View Post
    Too bad you had to pay so much for it. Smaller bowls perhaps or lots of spindles. Do you like spool beds?
    Spool beds ???

Have you talked with the neighbor about the wood? I would definitely tell him that the wood is no good for turning. $300 is some expensive firewood.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Yeah he knows I showed him. I plan on buying many more trees from him so I want to keep our relationship good so that he will continue to sell me more trees from his bush.

I think this tree will be cut up into pepper mills and cutting boards, utensils, pen blanks and maybe a few bowls in there two. I'll recoup my loss and then some but not as much as if it was all bowl blanks. Buying a full standing tree is a real crap shoot as you never know whats in the tree until you get it down and start cutting it up. Unfortunatly if you don't like what you see you can't put the tree back up. I guess it's part of the business if your going to buy trees.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Harvey View Post
    Spool beds ???
    Different styles but this will give you the general idea. Sometimes referred to as Jenny Lind. Popular in the late 19th century.
    spool bed.jpg

I've heard of being in the doghouse, Baxter, but a bed in the driveway? OUCH!

Johnathon,
    It looks to me like there is a lot of good bowl wood in those logs. You may not get a 20 inch bowl, but no problem. Most logs will have some splitting off of the pith. If it breaks into thirds, turn the bowls in more of a natural edge orientation. You can trim off the top so the bowls are flat on top. This will be easiest with the biggest log. The grain does not have to center perfectly in the bowl. Even though it is more artistically correct, they still look fine and work great.

Rob,
    Did you ask like this, "Can I have a few pieces of your tree if I make you some bowls out of it?" That does the trick for me every time.

robo hippy

The one picture shows what looks like ring shake to me. It is very common in Cherry, especially large ones, around here. There are many reasons for the shake including isolated events: fire, drought, etc. In these cased the shake is usually limited to the growth rings formed during that event.
    In your case it sounds extensive. You can Google ring shake to find out more.

I hope you checked the going price for logs before agreeing on the be.ft. price.
    I would never buy cherry unless it has been down long enough for the shake to show up in the un-Anchorsealed ends.
    I advise any of my customers to do the same before bringing the logs in to be sawn.
    I would advise not buying any more Cherry from him.
    Barbara in Remlik Virginia