Thread: Dust Collection Problem...

Dust Collection Problem...

Hi all...

I have the DeWalt DW 734 12-1/2 thickness planer and love it... it does everything and more for my needs. However, I'm trying to find a solution to the mountain of chips that it makes.

It comes with a hood that is installed to the front discharge area. It has a 4" port where a hose can be installed. Ideally I would like to put on a short hose that directs the chips into a trash can. This sounds great on paper. But the hood gets blocked shortly after I start putting the wood through the planer. Next, I have a Delta 1-1/2 HP dust collector with a 4 inch hose that I connect to the planer hood. Same outcome only with this setup even the DC hose blocks up. As anyone who has this model planer knows, when it gets blocked the chips are forced to come out of the back, making a nice mountain around the ankles.

I'm still finding it hard to believe that a 4 inch hose can get blocked. I am wondering if there is a filter on my DC that can be cleaned to improve the suction in the same way as a shopVac? Actually, I'm looking for any suggestions on how to clear up this problem... all would be appreciated.

--Bobby

Blog Entries
    Unfortunately you are going to need suction on that hose to get the chips out of the planer. The chips flying out are propelled by the cutting action and soon lose their momentum, hence the clogging problem you are seeing. The planer cutter may move some air, but not enough to convey your chips through even a short hose.

I can't explain why your DC isn't pulling the chips out, I have a 1-1/2 HP delta and it pulls chips out of my Delta planer through 25+ feet of 4" PVC pipe. Your filter bag or filter element my be clogged with saw dust preventing proper air flow.

One more thought about the dust collector not working. When your DC is connected and running, where is the air getting into you planer. Does this opening get blocked by the piece being planed? Dust collectors have to have an air source to establish flow. If air can't get into your planer and around the board and knives to the exhaust duct, then your DC will be starved and the chips won't be sucked out. Check your air flow with out the planer running and see if air is getting through the planer.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 03-22-2010 at 4:41 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Possibilities:

1) You are taking too much material off in one pass with the planer, resulting in too many shavings being generated at once. Try taking lighter passes.

2) As Lee said, your DC filter bags could be dirty or restricting air flow. Try tossing them in the washing machine (empty them, first )

3) What are you using for 4" hose? Anything with significant "texture" on the outside will significantly decrease your air flow. Try finding some flexible hose that has a smoother inside wall.

Bobby,

You will be hard pressed to find a way to eject planer chips through a 4" hose without suction. The pieces of debris that come off the planer knives aren't like dust. They tend to be jagged enough that they catch on each other and build up like self-expanding foam spray. Without negative air pressure in that hose (and a decent amount, at that) they won't move through.

The only thought that occurs to me is to try using an 8" tube of smooth sheet metal. But again, if it's got any kind of bend in it you're fighting a lot of physics.

-Mike

Make sure there are no leaks in the DC hose and separator.
    If the DC gets plugged at the fan intake, cut out the guard.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I have the DW734 hooked to a Harbor Frieght DC, I had a clogging issue at first but after cutting and removing the chip guard at the DC motor intake it has worked without any problems. BTW my jointer also clogged until I removed the guard. Pat

Blog Entries
    I have the DW734 hooked to a 1HP Delta with an oversized AFF top bag and a solid lower bag. Like Pat, I removed the cross shaped chip guard at the entrance to the blower housing. Hasn't clogged since.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Now there's something that I didn't think of... cutting out the guard. When I took the hose off to unblock it I noticed that the blockage started at around 1/3 of the hose and stopping at the guard. I'm going to give it a try tomorrow as I have some planing to do.

Someone also told me that in fact there is a filter in the DC that should be checked and cleaned. I'm just trying to figure out where exactly it is.

Thanks for the advice!!! I'll keep you informed on my progress.

--Bobby

Just so you know... The first thing I did was to take off the bags and bring them to the landramat... couldn't talk the wifee into using her machine.

Next... cut out the guard on the DC.
    Next... sealed the hood on the planer with double sided tape because I figured that I was losing too much suction from there. After all... the hood is held on by 3 little screws and can still be wiggled when they are in place.

The big test... had to run some birch through it... crossed my fingers, turned on the machines... and started doing the happy dance when I finished running my wood. I didn't even have to sweep up anything when I was done!!! Oh happy day!!! Thanks for the suggestions... much appreciated.

Now... going to try something else that I've seen here... instead of using the bag that came with the DC I'm going to try using heavy duty plastic trash bags for catching the chips. Sure looks like it would be a lot cleaner to replace when it's full.

--Bobby

I have one of those Woodstock trash can cyclone lids and it works great with my Jet 15" planer. You just put this lid on a 30 gal. METAL trash can and hook a 4" hose to the planer and another 4" hose to your DC. This separates most of the big stuff. The trash can is much easier to empty than the DC bags. I use some of the chips as mulch in the garden. NEVER Walnut chips! They kill flowers, tomatoes and even zuccini.

Kill zucchini, eh? I must remember that if my wife ever convinces me to plant it. Note to self, buy walnut for next project....
    Paul

Paul, please don't tell her you learned this from me. You know, women and their gardens. It's a good thing I live in another county.