Thread: Spofford patent brace

Spofford patent brace

All,

I have a question about a brace I just bought. It is a James Fray, Spofford Patent brace. It has a March 23, 1880 patent date. The patent drawings show no wrist handle, but mine has one. It has cocobolo wrist handles and top pad. The brace is nickel plated. You can see pics here: http://www.eatoncountywoodworker.blogspot.com/

Anyone have any information on this brace?

Thanks,

Zach
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Don't know about information, but I can say my Fray/Spofford is a delight to use, my favorite brace of several. In fact, so favorite that while I try to keep different bits in each brace for setup speed, I end up changing out the Fray bit for the one I need, even taking it from another brace.

Pam

Thanks

Pam,

Thanks for that. I'm looking forward to chucking something up and using it!

Zach
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Spafford pattern brace

Fray started back in the 1850's with a fellow named Pigg, so yours is somewhat later, but a nice brace non the less.

As for the missing pewter rings they are easy to replace. Clean out the grooves and note that they may be undercut to help hold the pewter. Then wrap a piece of card-stock around the handle with a small hole to allow the molten pewter to be poured down and fill the rings.

You can melt pewter on the stove top and non-lead pewter is available. When it is cool remove the card, cut off the spru (where you poured the pewter] and file the pewter flush, then burnish.

Stephen

Stephen - pardon the dumb question. Is ordinary card stock's flame-point higher than pewter's melting point, or does 'card stock' imply something special?

Either way, thanks for the great tip!
    AKA - "The human termite"

Card stock

Chuck,

Yes just an index card will do fine. And yes if you put the card stock in molten pewter it will catch on fire, however the reverse isn't true. I have cast pewter end caps on both rifles and pistols [flintlocks] and as bolsters on knives. I have also cast it on a reproduction Sarci [sp] smoking pipe that had an incised design similar to the pewter rings on the brace handles. I have also recast pewter ferrules on antique eating knives. And all with card-stock that was wrapped around the pieces, held with strong cord or wire and the hot pewter poured in, works just fine. It may scorch but it cools off fast enough not to burst into flames.

Stephen

Thanks

Thanks for the tips on replacing the pewter rings. A fellow on the Old Tools list is sending me some pewter, so as soon as I get it I will give it a go!

Zach

Hey Zach,
    Did you ever get around to re casting those rings?
    I've got a lovely no.108 without it's rings and I am considering giving it a shot.
    Cheers,
    Niels

I have a spofford handle that needs new rings. Where do you get pewter and how big a hole do you make in the card stock to pour the pewter through? How runny does it get when melted? Thanks, Tom