Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Bench Preview

Keith...pricing information is on the Adjust-a-bench web site linked to in the first post of this thread.

Hi Jim,
    I'm new to SMC, and just found this thread. I'm planning on building a workbench soon, and was wondering about the adjust-a-bench base. Now that you have had it for a few years, what do you think? Is it sturdy enough for manual work? ie planing? I have been a power tool guy for quite a while, and am interested in learning hand tools. So I'm starting to add stuff to my shop to accomodate that.

Mine works great! It has been standing idle for a couple of years, but I am not trying to put it back into service. It is heavy enough to be steady while planing and yet can still be moved if necessary. I also use it as an extention for my saw on long pieces of lumber or plywood. The adjustable height really helps.
    Old age can be better than the alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guarnotta View Post
    Hi Jim,
    I'm new to SMC, and just found this thread. I'm planning on building a workbench soon, and was wondering about the adjust-a-bench base. Now that you have had it for a few years, what do you think? Is it sturdy enough for manual work? ie planing? I have been a power tool guy for quite a while, and am interested in learning hand tools. So I'm starting to add stuff to my shop to accomodate that.

I have not had mine to long but really like it so far.....
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...h-Project-Done
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guarnotta View Post
    Hi Jim,
    I remain very pleased with my Adjust-a-Bench investment. And yes, it's very sturdy. Doesn't move around at all.

I will note that I sold off the original mobility base/casters early-on as 1) I don't really move it around and 2) kept knocking my ankles into them. I replaced the casters with two "conventional" looking bench feet made from recycled doug-fir and then shimmed everything level. (the floor in my shop slopes to the front because it was originally built as a garage building by the previous owners) There is likely another thread here somewhere that shows those "feet"...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...