Thread: Venting

Venting

Okay, I took the plunge and got the SuperNova2 from Woodcraft with what I thought was the correct insert. It fit but only got about 3 threads holding it on. Called Woodcraft and they agreed it was not safe to use and that I needed to order a blank insert and have it drilled and tapped. Unfortunately they didn't have one in stock and they gave me a number for Tim Gyst who had several. Unfortunately, he didn't have the tap needed for my lathe. So I ordered a blank insert and took it to the local machine shop to be drilled and tapped. Got it back Friday and finished (as far as I can right now) another project and got to the chuck. Yep, the boneheads drilled the hole at a slight angle and the chuck wobbles like the devil. These are the same highly trained professonals who was (was is the operative word here) working with me on a headstock for a lathe. So tomarrow I get to order my 3rd insert and hopefully I can get this one bored by Tim and thread it myself or take it back to that same bleeping shop and have them do it. Of course there is plan B, order a new lathe with a normal spindal threads. Hey they float loans for bass boats don't they what's the diff? Okay besides 20,000.

Sounds like a bad run of luck... I'm not a machinist but it seems that the shop could true up the faces of the insert they tapped at an angle, and that might fix the problem. In fact, I would think they could make the entire thing from scratch which would save you the trouble of ordering another. Good luck.

I believe that there would always be trouble trying to tap a blank that is possibly going to spin up to 2000-2500 RPM, without then trueing and balancing. Machining from scratch would seem a better process.... or getting a different chuck/lathe/boat/golfclubs

David, I am not sure that would work since this insert is threaded on the outside for the chuck. Truing it up would involve making the outside of the insert squared up with the inside which would mean cutting the outside to run true. Then I lose the fit for the chuck. Clear as mud right?

Fred: LATHE, quite fishing years ago and never golfed in my life. Maybe I might get a club to knock them 2 inserts out in the Woods!!

Seems like the best thing to do is get the right insert/adapter from the manufacturer. Woodcraft should have dealt with this it seems. Technatools makes them? Why mess around with marginal machinists and shops? Threads made with a machine lathe can be made without 'taps'. Internal threads are a bit harder, but would be dead centered. Any good shop could do this with no wobble. This is a new tool so let's make it work. By the way, what is this odd size lathe/spindle?

Paul's probably right.

Check out this link and see if your spindle is on the list:

http://www.teknatool.com/products/La...aptor_page.htm

The original insert that I ordered was IENS. This insert got about 3 threads of the spindal. It is the only 1" - 12 RH threaded insert that they make which is why I got the blank insert- to be drilled and tapped for this lathe. Apperantly I got a short spindle