Thread: Laser Boxes

Laser Boxes

I haven't posted any messages here lately, I have been busy getting ready for the diploma season. The graduates are coming and I have been experimenting with new materials for laser engraving college and high school certificates. Another couple of days and I hope to have a picture of the results of my research and development phase of this project.

I do have a picture to share, this is another of my acrylic boxes with a different design theme. The box below is made from quarter inch thick Bronze Acrylite. The top was cut and a solid white acrylic oval was inserted. The oval is 1/16" above the top of the box, raised to enhance the appearance and provide a 3D look.

The oval was engraved using a paper mask, the mask provided a means to spray paint the white acrylic with black paint after engraving. When the mask was removed the sub-surface graphic was filled with black paint. This procedure is a very inexpensive means of using available material to accomplish a very nice look. The engraving looks much like scrimshaw.

Obviously doing inlay work is a snap since the laser cuts both pieces using the same drawing the fit is always perfect. Note the quarter inch box joints, all cut by the laser on the bottom and four sides of the box.

The finished box is 7" long, 3.25" wide and 2.25" tall.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)

The Man!

U B The engraving man !!!!!!! ----- Cool

Amazing

Keith -

Amazing what you can get that thing do do. Very nice box.

Ted

Thumbs up Lazer Box

That is beautiful!
    "Howdy" from Southwestern PA

Thumbs up

Very nice Keith thanks for sharing

Keith, if you post too much more awesome-looking work like that, we're going to have to red-card you and put your laser in the penalty box (my shop) for a couple months.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Laser Boxes

Jason,

I'm going to need your address if you want me to ship the engraver to you for a couple of months. You understand that you have to make the payments while your using it, including the insurance. While your engraving I can take a vacation

Thanks to everyone for the comments!