Gene Crain
    Creative Woodwork and Design
    Vector Studio 22

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Crain View Post
    Have you guys seen this...

http://freedomcnc.com/

Gene Crain
    From Freedom Machine Tool:

We do not have a 12" Z-axis option for our FMT Patriot CNC routers.
    If this option is critical then FMT will have to pass on this quote request.
    Please let me know.
    Our parent company Diversified Machine Systems builds a variety of tall Z-axis machines.
    I can have them send you a quotation.
    Call or email me if you have any questions.

Regards,
    Freedom Machine Tool

So, 12" clearance being a primary consideration, FMT is out. Didn't get a quote or much info, so adding to the comparison would be incomplete.

My list had gotten bigger and is now getting smaller.

I've ruled out (but probably not completely):
    Techno : Funky "outboard rail" design uses too much space in our small shop, don't want a sales rep between us and the manufacturer, proprietary controller.
    Precix : Made in Mexico - sold from Canada, proprietary controller, some questionable feedback re:support and durability (though little is known of the relatively new "Industrial Plus" line.
    Hass, Multicam : no 12"+ Z option - too bad, they both look like good machines - Haas has some serious cred.
    ShopBot : Lighter, aluminum rails, lift-over side access, bolt together base. It seems to me that the ShopBot should be less $ than the competition but it isn't.
    AXYZ: 60" bed makes machine too wide for our available space.

I had been leaning strongly towards CAMaster but now I'm less certain because....

I went to ShopSabre's plant today to see their machines in person and get some time face time with the personnel. All in all, they appear to be a very well designed, engineered and constructed machine. The staff take great pride in the durability and serviceability of their product. The lifelong customer support they claim seems almost to good to be true, calls roll-over to staff's cells evenings and weekends. They are only 35mi from our shop which might be very handy if we ever need tech support, maybe we would even get some "special treatment". Small, local, family run operation. 3000 machines sold worldwide since 2001.

Technical differences:
    CAMaster vs Shop Sabre
    DC Servos - AC Servos
    Rack&Pinion XY - Ballscrew XY
    ~$31k - ~$35K
    (specs:4'x8', 12"z, vac table, vac pump, 3kW HSD, side mt indexing lathe, control PC)

Similarities:
    Welded tubular steel base
    WINCNC controller
    Indexing lathe available

I would appreciate feed back on the ballscrew vs R&P and the AC vs DC servo differences. Any other comments/suggestions still welcomed.

I'm attending the "Aspire camp" in May so will be able to make a more educated comparison between the CAMaster and the ShopSabre.

Thanks,
    kg

comparison here:
    http://design.umn.edu/current_studen...CNCcompare.pdf

look at the cut and jog speed. it will be slower for that price range on the shop sabre. myself I never cut super fast but I jog a lot and that can add up. the difference between 300 ipm and 2400 is pretty big overall.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

there are both pros and cons. i did enjoy talking with shopsabre when i was in the hunt but chose the camaster because of the heavier frame as being a cabinetmaker i wanted mass, my x3 has steppers and my next machine will have servos i am not sure why the steppers never miss a beat and i figure i will find out the difference

look forward to seeing you in may we have a large attendance list already

jim

DC servo motors need brush replacement. AC does not.

Either stepper or servo will be fine if proper engineering is done.

Ball screw drive will "whip" at long distances and high speed. Thermwood has blocks that flip in and out to help reduce the whipping at jog speeds. Some hold the ball screw and turn a nut on the ball screw to reduce whip.

35 miles away from the manufacturing plant is very nice. I am 3 hours from ShopBot. Never needed to drive down for help. Telephone and email support has been 100% for 5 years and two machines.

Give a lot of thought to having your gantry only driven from the center. You have a large lever working the gantry back and forth when cutting further from the center. Gantry driven from both ends is a lot better. I have a Techno LC4848 next to a ShopBot PRSalpha48 and can show anyone the difference anytime.

Good luck.
    Ed
    Trotec Speedy 300 45W
    Universal VLS4.60 50W
    Universal M-300 50w
    ShopBot PRSAlpha48
    Techno LC4848
    Oneway 2436

Under $30K CNC

Consider the FMT Patriot, fully ballscrew driven with AC servos, a real CNC controller, all steel construction and prices starting below $20,000.00

www.freedomcnc.com

I did (5 posts down).

12"+ z is one of our primary selection criteria so the FMT is out.

From Freedom Machine Tool:

We do not have a 12" Z-axis option for our FMT Patriot CNC routers.
    If this option is critical then FMT will have to pass on this quote request.
    Please let me know.
    Our parent company Diversified Machine Systems builds a variety of tall Z-axis machines.
    I can have them send you a quotation.
    Call or email me if you have any questions.

Regards,
    Freedom Machine Tool

Both the CAMaster and the ShopSabre are made in USA, so I can be patriotic without buying a Patriot. Also red, white and blue really don't fit in with our shop decor.

-kg

Added a few more machines and posted in a couple more places, getting cold calls from manufacturers, no cease-and-desist orders yet.

perpetually revised comparison here:
    http://design.umn.edu/current_studen...CNCcompare.pdf

sorry 'bout previous dead links, can't edit.
    Stupid Google Docs doesn't enable revisions (what's the point?).

Still between CAMaster and ShopSabre, checking out CM in person in a couple weeks, deciding shortly thereafter.

-kg
    UMN DESIGN