Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gloat - Not For The Faint of Heart

Gloat - Not For The Faint of Heart

I recently posted a gloat concerning my newly purchased G0690 and a Combo Mill/Lathe. Several of the respondents noted that it doesn't count until the equipment is in the shop and photos are posted of it sitting in the shop.

Well here's mine

Whoa now just a minute you say. Why is it in pieces?

Well yep there's a story. A sad sad sad... did I mention it's a saaad story.

Take a look at this: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/album.php?albumid=324

Make sure you have a Kleenex or two around and if you laugh make sure I don't hear you cause I know where you live or at least where you chat.

This happened today as I was bringing my new purchases the 5 miles home from the receiving dock.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by James Combs; 03-17-2010 at 11:25 PM.

"The best things in life are not things."

Ooooooh Mannnnn!

My sincere sympathies!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I read the whole story.... Good luck getting her fixed up good as new! Maybe if you explain to Grizzly what happened, they might be more kind and generous with the cost of replacement parts?

Bill

Brutal........I would cry. I am in the market for a new TS, but might be careful perusing Craigslist for tree cutting tablesaws!! LOL

I don't know if I should laugh or cry. I thought those things only happened to me! Anyway, looked pretty closely at the damage and I think it should buff right out.

Terry

Whoa there Mr. Bryan, I said no laughter.

Actually I have been laughing most of the day (to keep from crying) I have already checked with Grizzly on parts. I have to give them credit on the construction of this saw. It toppled out of my Pickup at a minimum of 40mph. Of course I didn't see it happen but sure heard it. When if finished flying it was completely striped of all packaging and was lying on it's side in the leaves and weeds. Amazingly enough the biggest damage it sustaind was the broken front trunnion ($121.50 according to Griz parts, but not avail til mid April). The cabinet sustained very little damage other then the small kink you can see above the motor opening. The electrical contactor broke away from its mounting but I can fix that with a little epoxy if not it is $70. I don't think the slight chipping on the gear teeth will be a problem they are for the angle adjustment and appear to be at around the 35* mark. All in all it could have been a lot worse. I had to completely disassemble it to get it back in the truck. The farmer that owned the landing spot heard it can came running. He loaned me a set of Allen wrenches.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Wellman View Post
    Brutal........I would cry. I am in the market for a new TS, but might be careful perusing Craigslist for tree cutting tablesaws!! LOL

"The best things in life are not things."

I'm so sorry to read about your loss... I really am. Looks like you have a pretty good sense of humor. I am glad to see nobody was hurt.

-Andrew

Your disposition is MUCH better than what mine would be if this happened to me. Good on ya!

You must have found the ole silver lining since you're still able to even poke fun at yourself.

To quote MP and The Holy Grail....."that's nothing but a flesh wound."

That was a good one Terry.

I'm stunned, shocked, saddened, and speechless.

I'm buying you a virtual shot of whiskey.

I wonder whether homeowners' or auto insurance could ... get involved, here.

The only upside? It's not new anymore. You know how that first scratch or ding kind of stings, but ... then ... it's a little bit of a relief?

You're there.

Hope it all works out, James.

THIS qualifies as a major Bag of Downers.

My heartfelt condolences James! I have two words for you to reflect on:

Load Binder!

Don't leave home to haul heavy stuff without one (or two) of those yellow WalMart tie down straps!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Truck OK? Ouch that one hurt!
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

That Sucks Big Time. I thought stuff like that only happens to me. I bought a new truck finally after 10 years and the third day I had it I backed into a bush and put a big dent in the passanger door. I imagine the feeling I felt in my gutt is about the same you are feeling after this. I really feel bad for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tullie Templet View Post
    That Sucks Big Time. I thought stuff like that only happens to me. I bought a new truck finally after 10 years and the third day I had it I backed into a bush and put a big dent in the passanger door. I imagine the feeling I felt in my gutt is about the same you are feeling after this. I really feel bad for you.

It's what happens when you buy something new, about 3 days after i bought my truck i dropped a 4x8 sheet of 3x4 plywood on the side of my bed, on corner hit and put a nice 12" long ding down the bed side. You buy something old and used and you'll never put a scratch on it though!

Sorry to hear it happened. If you are looking for a silver lining no one was hurt and considering what you dropped that is a big deal. Any chance you bought it with Amex? I think they cover this type of thing
    Last edited by Bob Luciano; 03-18-2010 at 2:36 AM. Reason: new thought

Quote Originally Posted by James Combs View Post
    ...........I have been laughing most of the day (to keep from crying) ..........the landing spot.....
    I like your style, James - I like your style and sense of humor. Shrug it off, and press on regardless. No doubt it will all end well
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.