Thread: Turning Beech?

Turning Beech?

Wondering if Beech is good to turn, Im talking bowls platters etc. All i could find is talk on using it for workbenches...Thanks in advance! Steve

Beech is a good wood to turn, the shavings are a bit sharp though. I wear gloves when I turn it. Its hard and dense also so I find good sharp tools work best. With proper skill and approach you can turn bowls and platters without sanding. It is a great choice for utility piece, food bowls,platters, spoons and such. Much of the commercial wood kitchen utensils are made from beech. It has a fine tight grain and is fairly stable so water affects it minimally.

"...and that's all I know about that."

I have turned it and think it turns fine. Kind of like maple.
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem

Turns well. I like turning it.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Steve American Beech is about the most unstable North American hardwood we have, it shrinks more than all other hardwoods but for Hickory.
    The Beechwood that is used for utensils and other things is mostly European Beech and is steamed to prevent the loss and degrading that would otherwise occur.
    It is kind of bland wood, but it turns well, however it is very hard to keep from splitting and checking.
    Here are a couple of info pages that I pulled, so as to not think I just spouting hot air.

And yes I have turned American Beech, Ill add some pictures.

And here's a link to some info also.

http://www.ces.purdue.edu/extmedia/FNR/FNR-275-W.pdf

Here a couple of picture of Beech bowls that I've turned
    American Beech properties.jpg American Beech is unstable.jpg American Beech seasoning.jpg American Beech turned thin, and still split.jpg American Beech warped.jpg American Beech natural edge.jpg America Beech bowl.jpg
    Have fun and take care

Wow, thanks Leo.

Thats why I love this forum.

I can't speak for turning it, but I avoid it like the plague for flatwork for the very reasons pointed out by Leo.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post
    Steve American Beech is about the most unstable North American hardwood we have, it shrinks more than all other hardwoods but for Hickory.
    The Beechwood that is used for utensils and other things is mostly European Beech and is steamed to prevent the loss and degrading that would otherwise occur.
    It is kind of bland wood, but it turns well, however it is very hard to keep from splitting and checking.
    Here are a couple of info pages that I pulled, so as to not think I just spouting hot air.

And yes I have turned American Beech, Ill add some pictures.

And here's a link to some info also.

http://www.ces.purdue.edu/extmedia/FNR/FNR-275-W.pdf

Here a couple of picture of Beech bowls that I've turned
    American Beech properties.jpg American Beech is unstable.jpg American Beech seasoning.jpg American Beech turned thin, and still split.jpg American Beech warped.jpg American Beech natural edge.jpg America Beech bowl.jpg

Thanks Leo. Now I know why beach was worth so little several years ago when I sold the logs off my property. Beech was $230 per thousand board feet when hard maple saw logs were $1200 per thousand and up to $5500 for #1 veneer.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author