Thread: New Server and Software

New Server and Software

Keith and Aaron - It's been a few months since we last heard anything about the new, blazing fast super solid state server - with new upgrades to vBulletin 4.x. Transferring over must have been a much larger task than you originally thought. What's the current status?

Jeff,

The new server is sitting in my office waiting for Aaron to finish installing the operating system and support software. I knew that if we didn't get it online during the Christmas holidays it would end up on the back burner because Aaron has an impossible schedule at William and Mary and the administrative tasks I ask him to provide here fill in all of the free time he generally has available.

Concerning the upgrade to vBulletin 4.0 our research tells us that it is still a bit early. Because The Creek is such a large and active site we are almost always wise to wait until new software stabilizes before we install an upgrade. Aaron thinks that it is still a bit too early, I agree with him but we sure would like to move up to version 4 but realistically we may have to wait until the server is online.

Aaron recently was selected by Ted Hall at ShopBot to convert their ancient forum software to vBulletin. He did one heck of a job on the conversion but it was time consuming and tricky to save all of their threads, pictures and come up with a means to convert their links at Google to the new system. Being a full-time student Aaron needs to take advantage of these opportunities to make a few bucks when he can

Currently Aaron is working on the "Friends of The Creek" module, he is about 70% complete with the programming. If he can find a few more hours in his schedule he should be able to get this one knocked out and installed so everyone here can start using it, it is one of the features that a lot of people want here.

Aaron was here in my shop office last night until almost midnight. He cut some vinyl signs for me and engraved a beer tap for a friend of his so he was sidetracked again
    I am swamped once again myself with an unbelievable amount of work that I sure could use Aaron's help with but it just isn't going to happen. I have two full time jobs at CNU and my sign shop at home is going through a major clean-up once again. Now that the weather is more moderate I am working on replacing the 6 by 6 wooden posts in my shop with 6" steel pipe and building a new steel framed canopy for my dust collection chip box.

My admin duties here are taking about three hours per day and our marketing effort for the banner ad system never stops. It really is a blessing to be busy but it makes it hard to find the time to do anything but put out fires

Oh, the vinyl signs Aaron cut last night were for the new utility vehicle that arrived Friday afternoon at CNU for the Architect's Office sign shop. My days of walking across the University and borrowing my bosses golf cart to install signs are over
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 03-14-2010 at 9:44 AM.

Keith, Good to see an outstanding Club Car transport thats made down here in good old Augusta, Georgia!!!!!!!!!!! Don

Nice wheels, Keith!!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Keith, looking at that vehicle, I just pictured it all decked out with lights/sirens, etc.

So you have retired the thumb?

Randal,

Hitch hiking has never worked for me here at CNU, people in carts just drive on by even if they know you

It has ceased to be a problem

Got the new signs on the cart this morning and now I'm installing carpet in the box.