Thread: A lighting question

A lighting question

Hi all, I picked up some fluorescent light fixtures off craigslist that were being used in a commercial building, they are T12 4 lamp fixtures. I got 10 of them for $20, so I guess I can live with T12 for a while. Anyway, the romex wire that's feeding the ballasts have 2 hots, a neutral and a ground so with 2 hots does this mean they are running 277 volts?

I am going to say to be on the safe side look for the ballast model number and check it out on the web.. should be , could be, might get you fried...lol
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

Greg, 2 hot wires is no indication they are 277 volts. Open 1 of them up and the operating voltage will be on the ballasts. The reason they have 2 hots is they were swiched seperately. One switch turned on 2 lamps and the 2nd turned the other 2 on.

Charlie

Thanks guys, I ended up re-wiring the ballasts to run off a single 14-2 cable. The ballasts were indeed 120 volts (good thing) and it makes sense they were probably being run off 2 separate switches. Let there be light..