Thread: Belt Sander...again

Belt Sander...again

Looking to replace my dinosaur portable Cman sander with something lighter. Recommendations for a light weight reasonably priced 3 or 4X? sander?
    Last edited by Larry Anderson; 03-13-2010 at 1:24 AM.

Portable belt sander or stationary machine? Anyway, in the smaller Benchtop Machine category, I have a Ryobi 4" by 36" combo belt/disc sander that's heavy enough to stay in place while you're using it, has good dust collection with my DC system adapted from its 4" hose to the machine's smaller factory port. And the belts track well with no real fussing about.
    Price was under or right at $100 2 years ago, not sure what it is now.
    My larger 6 x 48" Grizzly is too large for your post request, so the Ryobi gets my nod. Lots of machines out there in the 3 to 4" belt size.

If you are looking for a hand power sander, I would recommend the Bosch 1274. It is fairly light, and has a sanding frame and other accessories available. The little Porter Cable sander is great, but doesn't meet you size criteria.

Larry,

I feel there isn't one better than the Porter Cable 3 and 4" belt sanders. The are durable, true running, easy belt change and serviceability and a decent weight too. I have bith a 352VS and a 361. The 361 has been used in a MS woodshop for over 30 years with only brush changes. If that's not a testament to durability I don't know what is.

They're not giving them away though.
    Last edited by mark kosse; 03-13-2010 at 10:38 AM.

My Hitachi SB 8V2 is pretty awesome, I'm real happy with it.

I went ahead and ordered a recon PC352VS from toolsplus.