Thread: Powermatic 45 lathe help

Powermatic 45 lathe help

I am going to look at a what appears to be a 70s vintage Powermatic 45 lathe. It is a single phase 220, was orginally owned by a one man furniture restoration business, and when he passed a construction firm bought it and never used it except to turn a couple of bowls in the past 10 years. They want $800, and that includes all of the various knives and accessory tools.

Tomorrow I will take a look at it, and have them power it up to listen to the bearings and give it a once over. Is there anything else I need to check other than the general shape and condition. The picture of it looks good.

Now for the help. Can a person put that monster on a mobile base so it can be moved around the shop without too much trouble? If it needs new bearings, are they available yet and should bad bearings be a deal breaker?

If you want to see a picture of it, it is listed on http://fayar.craigslist.org/tls/1639009598.html.

Any assistance is appreciated,

Harley

I would not put a lathe on a mobile base nomatter what. It needs to be on the level floor. If its not, it will shake it self across the floor. That is a very good lathe. Made in the USA. Bearings are not a problem. You can get bearings from Powermatic, but you can get cheaper from bearing supply houses. Steve.

PM45 is a good lathe. That looks like the variable speed model. For $800 I would put it under power and make sure the VS goes through the entire range of speeds. It looks like it is complete, but make sure everything is there with the tailstock and toolrest / holder and that nothing is broken or repaired. You probably want to change the bearings, as the ones in there are likely to be original and by the color it looks like a '60s model. I'm not sure your location, but I have seen the heavier PM90 going locally between $500 and $800.

I don't know that I'd come up off of 8 bills for it-unless:

There was a lot of high quality tooling with it, with plenty of life left in it. I'm talking about Sorby level, or better gouges, skews, scrapers. Not HF or something from PSI.

And chucks. Oneway, Axminster, and Vicmarc are all very desirable. Teknatool is okay. Anything else may be suspect. Additional jaws add to the value.

The reason I'm opposed to that price is, the technology is old (Reeves drive), and the capacity is small. What do you intend to do with it? For the occasional furniture project, it may suit you well-if you can stand the noise. If you ever want to get into the more artistic aspects of woodturning, you might find the capacity limiting.

The machine is very stout, and has a good reputation. I doubt that bearings should ever be an issue-you should be able to find replacements at any supplier. My major maintainence concern would be with the drive system itself. Make sure PM still supports this machine if you purchase it, or be prepared to modify the drive system. Let us know what you decide, I like these old machines, and that one is a classic.
    Last edited by Jeff Willard; 03-12-2010 at 5:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Zipparo View Post
    I have seen the heavier PM90 going locally between $500 and $800.
    exactly what I was going to say<but being from one one man shop, it MIGHT not have seen to much action and I would assume that many of the PM 90's that are priced similar might be coming from a High School Shop. Which wouldn't bother me if it was the PM90 I learned on in High School as my Woodshop teacher kept his machinery in excellent condition. I would check it out first and if it looks good, try and get the price down a little.

Greg

Thanks for your help everyone. I appreciate your help, and your advise has given me enough insight to pass on this machine if it is not in really good shape. I am a pure hobiest, I make very nice furniture for family and charity auctions. The last time I used a lathe was in grade school wood shop in the 1950s. I am retired and have a very good wood shop but no lathe. I have been looking for a used one so I can begin turning and making "round" things. It just might be this old machine has too big a footprint for me, and it may have more limitations to hobby use than is practical.

Harley