Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ordering lumber on the net

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Just an observation; I tried Woodfinder and they missed the three yards closest to me and directed me to the "nearest" yard 37 miles away. I'm assuming they recommend yards who register with them or some such.
    Yes, the yards must register with them. But sometimes its a start. I found a few other yards simply by quizzing the guys at the yards I did find. Turns out they had different "specialties" and would often trade business.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

if you have time, watch craigslist...I picked up about 1200bf, mixed maple, figured maple, oak, red oak, ash or birch, walnut all less than $2 bf. Most in nice stuff, some of the maple is real nice. Im happy, imo
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 02-05-2019 at 10:13 AM.

Thanks guys, Im going to bite it and try some from walllumber since it comes highly recommended. I've tried woodfinder and thats how I found out there were none within a 2 hour drive. Jacksonville Woodcraft is the closest, and as mentioned, their selection is very minimal. There is one place in St Mary's but it is by appointment only and their prices seem to be the same as getting the wood shipped to me. May check it out one day because it is a little bit closer than jacksonville, but kinda skeptical about it still.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Chapman View Post
    I buy my wood from a local supplier who sells on the internet. They are very good guys to deal with. Check them at bellforestproducts.com Tell them Bob Chapman referred you .

I have not bought alot from them but I also have bought from bellforest and the wood was very nice.
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Shinall View Post
    I do not have a lumberyard within a 2 hour drive of my house. Can anyone tell me if the prices on this website are good enough to order and save me the tank of gas? And has anyone ever ordered lumber online like this and what are your experiences?

They have 4/4 boards up to 8 ' long and 11" wide so it seems like a pretty good idea to just order a huge board or 2 to keep me supplied til I can make it somewhere like Atlanta to get to a lumberyard.

Thanks guys.

http://www.hardwoodboardsource.com/
    I think you already got alot of info. All I can think is wow that really stinks to have to drive that far. I feel bad that people have to go that far, I would be looking to open a store maybe..
    I would just save $$ an stock up on many species an some plys . Or find a local sawyer for local woods.

+1 for Bell Forest Products. I ordered some awesome Birdseye Maple from them and it was much, much cheaper than anything available locally. They matched the boards for color for me, packaged it well for transit and I am very happy. Boone Bell was patient and answered all of my questions.

Scot

I have been checking out these sites. Has anyone ordered a 100 Bf bundle? This would have to be sent common carrier. This wouldn't be a problem. I could give them my work address. I was wondering about the cost. Would it be high enough to make it not such a good deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Kent E. Matthew View Post
    I have been checking out these sites. Has anyone ordered a 100 Bf bundle? This would have to be sent common carrier. This wouldn't be a problem. I could give them my work address. I was wondering about the cost. Would it be high enough to make it not such a good deal?

I've done it a couple times and it has come by freight to my house. You have to tell them it is a residence and sometimes there will be an extra fee for that. I had a guy come without a lift gate once and he was nice enough to help me unload it piece by piece.

Shipping Cost an important consideration

I have found shipping costs to be an important consideration. UPS is typically prohibitive, over $1 per pound. With some of the freight companies, I've been able to get the price down to thirty cents a pound. If you order a 100 bf of walnut, I expect you would pay anywhere from $300 to $100 for shipping. I would be curious to hear what others do to keep the shipping costs low.

- Rick

Upon inquiry. Common carrier cost for me was 221 dollars. Kind of takes the deal right out of the equation.

ONe more +++1 for Wall Lumber. I have been buying form Steve for years and the lumber and service is always great. I have been to their place often (about 1 hour and 15 minutes) but I ahve also had some shipped by UPS and it gets to me in good shape.

Jim

Where are you getting great prices in SoCal?