Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ordering lumber on the net

Ordering lumber on the net

I do not have a lumberyard within a 2 hour drive of my house. Can anyone tell me if the prices on this website are good enough to order and save me the tank of gas? And has anyone ever ordered lumber online like this and what are your experiences?

They have 4/4 boards up to 8 ' long and 11" wide so it seems like a pretty good idea to just order a huge board or 2 to keep me supplied til I can make it somewhere like Atlanta to get to a lumberyard.

Thanks guys.

http://www.hardwoodboardsource.com/
    Last edited by Joe Shinall; 03-11-2010 at 7:50 PM.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

I buy my wood from a local supplier who sells on the internet. They are very good guys to deal with. Check them at bellforestproducts.com Tell them Bob Chapman referred you .

Blog Entries
    Walnut - 1" thick, 12" long by 11-1/4" wide = $15.55 !!??!!

Not a chance. I pay about a third of that in SoCal and I feel it is a bit high right now. The place Bob mentions above is $5.70/bf (up to 10bf) which is a bit more than I paid a few weeks ago. Over 10bf it drops to $4.95/bf if I am reading it right. this is more like it.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 03-11-2010 at 9:21 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Being in Georgia, you might like to try these two in North Carolina. UPS would likely be overnight to you, maybe 2 days. And no sales tax.

www.hardwoodstore.com
    www.walllumber.com

I buy from The hardwood store. They have nice wood and good selection. Just call and talk to them about what you need.

I have never been to Wall, but have heard great things. I intend on going sometime soon.

It is a bit more expensive than those other places but when you order from the other ones you order by the BF and dont get the chance to choose the width of the pieces. Damn why can't this town just get a lumber yard!!!
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

tell me about it. Nothing in savannah, Charleston, or jacksonville except woodcraft, and their selection is slim....

When I lived in Georgia I ordered from Walllumber a couple of times. Great service and the lumber was some fine stuff.

I'm in the same situation as you. I have a local cabinet shot that sell rough sawn lumber but their prices are outrageous. I buy some small quantities from them from time to time and am always shocked at the price of the lumber. They know they're the only source and seems as though they are gouging the hell out of us hobbyists. I've never ordered online but have thought about it. This thread should be a good source for me as well.

One would think living in eastern Maine that hardwood lumber such as maple, oak, etc would be available in just about every town. Need to look into buying a small saw mill.

I have had good luck with nwtimber.net web site for small orders. They display pictures of each piece of wood but should be called if you have questions and they will describe it. It maybe higher $$$ but most is FAS and they have a large selections of 4/4,8/4 and larger wood.
    Last edited by Keith Harrell; 03-12-2010 at 9:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Shinall View Post
    I do not have a lumberyard within a 2 hour drive of my house. Can anyone tell me if the prices on this website are good enough to order and save me the tank of gas? And has anyone ever ordered lumber online like this and what are your experiences?

They have 4/4 boards up to 8 ' long and 11" wide so it seems like a pretty good idea to just order a huge board or 2 to keep me supplied til I can make it somewhere like Atlanta to get to a lumberyard.

Thanks guys.

You mention a 2 hour drive radius around your house. If you haven't already tried www.woodfinder.com it might pop up a small mill near you. Certainly worth a try if you haven't already.

I've ordered from a few places, but mostly specialty stuff or veneers. I'm sorta lucky in that I can drive only an hour and find good domestics. For small quantities of exotics, I've had good luck with eBay of all places. There are several of the larger yards that seem to have eBay stores to deal with their orphaned boards and cut-offs. Often times I'll be paying $5-10 for several board feet (random width) of rosewood or purpleheart but then end up with $20 in ground shipping charges so that makes it about a wash.

If you are interested in the eBay route for small stuff, let me know and I'll cull my saved sellers list for the most recent ones I've used.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Another vote for wall lumber -- I've bought several of their 20bdft packs and very satisfied with quality each time: walnut, cherry, QSWO, African mahogany and hard maple.

Blog Entries
    Just an observation; I tried Woodfinder and they missed the three yards closest to me and directed me to the "nearest" yard 37 miles away. I'm assuming they recommend yards who register with them or some such.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Just an observation; I tried Woodfinder and they missed the three yards closest to me and directed me to the "nearest" yard 37 miles away. I'm assuming they recommend yards who register with them or some such.
    Same story, here....

I am one who doesnt have a lumbar yard close. But I can tell you I ve had good service and selection from Wall lumber as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Shinall View Post

Thanks guys.

Joe, although I have a business that manufactures and sells quartersawn oak, I'd like to add my voice to the others here in recommending Wall Lumber.

I've been to Steve Wall's facility more than once, have made substantial purchases from him as well (in excess of 30K), and I unequivocally recommend him 100%.

They are a very reputable company that stands behind what they sell. You won't go wrong in dealing with them.

Regards,

Scott
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 02-05-2019 at 10:12 AM.