Thread: Jet JTAS 10XL50 vs Grizzly 6091

Jet JTAS 10XL50 vs Grizzly 6091

This is killing me with the sale price these two saws are within $100 of each other and if you include shipping it flops but still is within $100. Before I pull the trigger which saw...Jet 708663PK - JTAS10XL50 or the Grizzly 6091. Dang the specs are almost the same.....

HELP..

Don't know the Grizzly, but I've had a JTAS 10XL50 going on about 10 years now, and still have no desire nor need to replace it. It's 3HP, don't know the model number, but it's a better saw than I am a woodworker.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

I don't have either one but it looks like the Jet does not have a riving knife. That would move me towards the Grizzly.

After years of looking I recently bought a fifteen year old blue Jet JTAS-1050XL. This replaces a Jet contractor saw that has been flawless (I can't bring myself to sell it, so it now serves as an outfeed table set up with a dado blade.) With linkbelts to replace the original belts which had taken a set due to lack of use, the only way to tell the JTAS-10 is on is by the noise, there is almost no vibration. The table is too flat to measure any deviation and the adjustments are silky smooth. Despite two moves in the last six months and removing the top to clean and lubricate the mechanism the saw remained dead-on accurate when I bolted the top back on (mark the bottom of the top with a marker before loosening the bolts.) I added the Delta quick release splitter and Uniguard. A riving knife would be nice, but it wasn't worth the extra $1200+ it would have cost over the used saw. The newer model saws also have better dust collection, but I get very little dust once I closed off the openings in the cabinet with sheets of magnetic sign material. I have six large Jet tools of varying ages and have never had an issue with any of the motors. You may want to check the amp draw against the Grizzly as the Jet may be lower. Long story short, I could have gotten a Delta, a similiar vintage 2HP PM66 or the Jet for about the same price. I bought the Jet (the PM66 was tempting, but was a bit abused) and haven't regretted it for a minute. With a Forrest WWII it produces perfect burn free cuts every time. If I had to do it over again I wouldn't hesitate to get the Jet. I am in no way critisizing the Grizzly. It may be every bit as good as the Jet, though unless it has a riving knife or internal dust shroud, it is difficult to imagine how it could be better. Jet cabinet saws also seem to hold their resale value as they sell for around $800, usually with a mobile base, as long as they haven't been abused.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Rich Johnson View Post
    This is killing me with the sale price these two saws are within $100 of each other and if you include shipping it flops but still is within $100. Before I pull the trigger which saw...Jet 708663PK - JTAS10XL50 or the Grizzly 6091. Dang the specs are almost the same.....

HELP..

Rich - you may want to check if the other machines have a UL987 approved riving knife that is now mandatory on all saws.