Thread: Craftsman 6" Jointer 220v ?

Question Craftsman 6" Jointer 220v ?

I would like to convert my 10 year old craftsman jointer from 110v to 220v. The label on the motor itself says it's 110/220 and gives the diagram to rewire it, however the manual never mentions it as a posibility. I can think of no reason not to go ahead and replace the factory 16awg cord and rewire the motor, but I'd appreciate any useful warnings or suggestions first. I'd hate to ruin my jointer by overlooking something.

Thank you,
    Dylan

My first question is what do you expect to gain, in other words why?

Everyone knows you'll instantly double the power with the rewire, Van!!

NOT! I'm with Van, Dylan. Why do you want to do this?
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I only have 30 amps running out to my shop, so it's nice to run things on 220v. The wiring's already in the walls from when I insulated & sheated.

The man wants a 220v jointer; he can HAVE a 220v jointer! Just change the wiring per motor diagram, add a 220v plug, and Enjoy! You may or may not see any power difference in the jointer, but your 110v circuit will be freed up.

I have ALL my machines wired 220v to keep them off the flimsy 15a 110v garage circuit, which is a bit stressed at times with flourescent lighting, outside lighting and anything else I may plug in (shop fan, battery chargers, radio, hand tools)
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!