Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Table Saw...Left tilt or Right tilt

Table Saw...Left tilt or Right tilt

I have always had a left tilt saw. I've been looking at one that only comes in a right tilt. Here it is...
    http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00922692000

I know...Craftsman. This is their HD Industrial line of saws. It only comes right tilt though. Are there any advantages or disadvantages with a right tilt?

I was actually looking at the 10" model they have in this line. Everything is on sale and no shipping if sent to a store.
    What do ya think. Thanks for your thoughts.

You know Bob, your first sentence "I have always had a left tilt saw" wants me to advice you to stick with what you are comfortable with. Like you, when I went to upgrade to a cabinet saw a few months ago, was also looking at changing over to a right tilt as they seem to out sell the left tilts. But I kept going back to safety, and to me, a left tilt just seems safer, 1) because the blade tilts away from the fence and 2) it was what I was used to. Sometimes, the old saying "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" holds some merit. At least my little voice told me to stay with what I know.
    Shelley

Bob, I grew up with a left tilt saw. I now have both. I know from experience that if you are used to one the other can be difficult. I currently have my right tilt dedicated to a crosscut sled and for general ripping if the other is set up otherwise. I know there is discussion of difficulty and safety issues when cutting at an angle, the cut off riding on top of the blade, trapping the piece between the fence and the blade, etc. IMHO I would look for a left tilt saw if that is what you are used to.

Also, search the creek for "left tilt" and go to a posting by Holly Mosser. It has some great info.
    Last edited by Martin Lutz; 11-03-2004 at 4:10 PM. Reason: add info
    Enjoy the journey,

Martin

---------------
    Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable --- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy --- think about such things. --- Paul of Tarsus

I have a right tilt unisaw and I always move the fence to the left of the blade when doing bevels. This gives the same effect as using a left tilt. I wish I had gotten the left tilt saw!
    Sparky Paessler

I grew up with a right tilt and when it came time to buy my Griz1023, right-tilt is all they had and all I knew.

So, that is what I have. I have made many cuts on a bevel but you can't make very short-width cuts safely. On large/wide sheet good, no biggie but small pieces, I move the fence to the other side.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    [QUOTE=Shelley Bolster]
    right tilt as they seem to out sell the left tilts.
    Is this true??? I've never heard that before.
    I am in full agreement with "Stick with what you know", but also have had limited success with the Cman Saw and the company backing its equipment.
    There is some other really good stuff out there from companies that don't sell clothes, stoves and baby cribs.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Go with what you are used to

Bob -

There is a while littany of safety issues in the right vs left tilt discussion. All can be countered (for either tilt) with feed method or where the operator stands.

What it comes down to is; "What are you used to?" Go with your gut on this. Part of it is being able to touch and try your future purchase.

Good luck in your decision!

Regards,
    Ted

Hi Bob

I prefer left tilt, feels safer to me.

Do you need/want a 12" saw? Wilke has the Bridgewood left tilt with a 5hp motor or the well respected BW10LTS left tilt 10" saw with 3hp motor. They're pretty good about keeping these things in stock and the Wilke reputation for good products and customer support are top of the line.

12" http://www.wilkemach.com/OnlineCatal...20Saw&RecNum=0

10" http://www.wilkemach.com/OnlineCatal...20Saw&RecNum=0

Just another option

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

If a sliding table is in your future, go for the right tilt. Most sliding tables can't be install on to a left tilt cabinet saw. The motor cover (or the motor) gets in the way.

I can't say much about the Craftsman cabinet saws, never seen them except in Sears catalog. But I remember a review of cabinet saw I read a few years back - Craftsman wasn't rated very high. I would also check on the availibitily of spare parts and accessories.

Hoa,

I see you are local! Cool...welcome to SMC!!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoa Dinh
    If a sliding table is in your future, go for the right tilt. Most sliding tables can't be install on to a left tilt cabinet saw. The motor cover (or the motor) gets in the way.
    A sliding table can be added to a left tilt but it requires some modifications such as drilling holes into the left extension table and fabricating a support from the "base" to the saw under the motor cover.
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

12. I prefer left tilt and I also have a sliding table and did no modifying for it to work.

Cool Mike!! Can you post a pic? What kind of slider did you buy? I'm looking to get one for my Bridgewood in the next 4 months or so...

Thanks
    Brian

Your comfort is paramount, but learning to use the "other" orientation isn't a problem for most folks. For US style saws, I personally prefer left-tilt. For a Euro slider, right tilt is appropriate and what I would buy...since that's the only way it's available anyway!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My $.02

Bob,
    If your primary concern is safety, a left-tilt saw is the ONLY way to go! I used a right-tilt Craftsman Contractor saw for years before I got my PM 66. In my younger days, I could dodge the "arrows" from the binding action of the "right-tilt" orientation. However, my wife's washer and dryer could not! Dents and chips were inevitable. Januarys in northern Wisconsin are COLD. Sleeping in the garage at that time of year is even colder! Enough said.

If you are as stupid as I am, even a left-tilt blade can give you some kick-back. On the other hand, it is much more predictable and avoidable. Just, as they say, "Listen to the Wood"! If it "warns" you, just back off and try a different approach.

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!