Thread: Southwest Style Box

Southwest Style Box

I love exploring design through box making. It's fun, doesn't take a long time and doesn't cost a lot, either. This is my latest exploration.

It's my interpretation of a Southwest-style box in Walnut and Bois d'Arc with a Eastern Red Cedar bottom. Dimensions are 6" x 9" x 4 1/2" and the finish is oil and shellac.

The craftsmanship isn't the best but I was more interested in the design. I will make another one and correct a couple of mistakes plus use some better hinges (these are regular hardware store hinges).

Anyway, I appreciate any comments, critiques, rock throwing or whatever.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Very attractive Cody, you did a good job, and somebody is going to love this box. I have always been partial to SW art. In fact I am making a bowl right now out of maple burl, that I intend to insert a fused glass Kokopelli in the bottom.

Nice work, Cody! Is that walnut left over from the rocker? Neat contrast with the hedgeapple, though it will turn brown over time - but, still will look very nice.

Love the design.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Is that walnut left over from the rocker?
    Love the design.
    Thanks, John and yes, that is some of the Walnut left over from the rocker. I've only got one small piece left, though.

I have another rocker finished and waiting on pics. This one is in Bois d'Arc. It is definitely YELLOW!
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Colston View Post

Anyway, I appreciate any comments, critiques, rock throwing or whatever.
    Cody,
    I like the box, you asked for comments so here’s my take please take it as constructive not negative. It looks good but IMO the handle kind of blends into the Bois d'Arc back ground of the box from the front view. Not sure what would look best or if it’s just the picture. But I do like the southwest style/ design you have come up with. (I used to live in Arizona for a few years).

Sincerely Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Quote Originally Posted by richard poitras View Post
    Cody,
    I like the box, you asked for comments so here’s my take please take it as constructive not negative. It looks good but IMO the handle kind of blends into the Bois d'Arc back ground of the box from the front view. Not sure what would look best or if it’s just the picture. But I do like the southwest style/ design you have come up with. (I used to live in Arizona for a few years).

Sincerely Richard
    First, Richard, thanks for commenting and second for the critique. I happen to agree about the lift blending in with the Bois d'Arc. I really didn't pick up on that until I took pics and then it became obvious. Before I glued on the lift, I waffled between it and a notched recess in the Walnut. In hindsight, the recess was probably the better option.

Thanks again for commenting.
    Cody

Very nice looking box Cody. I like both the design and execution.

Hedgeapple...now there's a term I haven't heard in a coon's age!

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Colston View Post
    I happen to agree about the lift blending in with the Bois d'Arc. I really didn't pick up on that until I took pics and then it became obvious.
    I've had similar experiences, Cody. Interesting to me how something can look so much different in a pic than in real life.

BTW...killer job. Love the box.

t
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nice Idea !

That is a pretty nice trail run! Be aware that the Bois d'Arc (Osage Orange) will not stay yellow. It will end up a deep chocolate brown after being in the light. Maybe yellow heart or some other color stable contrasting wood would be better for the refined version.

I like it Cody and my wife who happened to be passing by when I was viewing really likes it. She loves SW art and anything American Indian even though she is Dutch. Whatever!

Nice job...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Great looking box Cody. I live in the Southwest and have a number of pieces with that design incorporated into them (bought before I took up woodworking).
    Lori K

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Knapp View Post
    That is a pretty nice trail run! Be aware that the Bois d'Arc (Osage Orange) will not stay yellow. It will end up a deep chocolate brown after being in the light. Maybe yellow heart or some other color stable contrasting wood would be better for the refined version.
    I know the Bois d'Arc will darken, but I have turnings that are several years old that one would still call yellow. I think the finish slows down the darkening process. Actually, when it takes on that golden-brown hue, I think it's even prettier than the yellow.

But, I will certainlly consider using Yellowheart,also, especially since the Walnut will lighten over the years. I will probably substitute Mesquite for Walnut on the next one, too.

Thanks everybody for the comments. You are all very encouraging and they are much appreciated.
    Cody

13. hardware store hinges

Beautiful little box! those tiny hardware store hinges will give you fits though, won't they? thats what i used on the last little box i made, and i've resolved to invent a way to build wood hinges from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Robinson View Post
    Beautiful little box! those tiny hardware store hinges will give you fits though, won't they? thats what i used on the last little box i made, and i've resolved to invent a way to build wood hinges from now on.
    Yeah, those little hardware store hinges are pretty thin, lol.

I sometimes use wood hinges. I have an Incra Hingecrafter and sometimes I just make them from scratch.

What I will probably do is get some nice Brusso hinges with the integral 110 degree stop for the next box, now that I have the design worked out. I'm planning on adding some small boxes to my turned art display at a local art show I enter every fall.

The Brusso hinges are not inexpensive and I won't use them on a prototype.
    Cody