Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It's too bad...

It's too bad...

...when a contentious subject is brought up on the Creek and the thread turns into a nasty argument and the mods have to delete it. These discussions could be very constructive even if there is never a true meeting of the minds.
    David DeCristoforo

I see it is gone.

Argument

Argument? I didn't see anyone arguing. Differences of opinion, yes, but everyone seemed to be pretty civil.

Having said that, I think something like that should best live in the Off Topic section. Its not really a "General Woodworking" sort of discussion. Rather than delete it, it might have been wiser to have just moved it.

The subject definitely pertains to WW'ing, so the topic will pop up again and again. There's another thread active in OT, at least for the moment.

That's my .02 anyway.

Regards,

John

When people resort to name calling...insulting each other it 1) violates the Terms Of Service 2) diminishes the value of the thread 3) it is no longer a discussion but an uncivil sophomoric rant that doesn't belong here.

When the amount of time it takes to edit a thread to make it civil outweighs the value of the information in the thread, it gets moved.

BTW....I didn't move it but I was getting ready to do it. I was replying to a member who had reported it.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Huhh. What I miss? Good ole nanna nanna boo style argument? I do love watching grown men devolve into third graders. Sorry I missed that.

Name calling

I agree with you if it got into name calling. I never saw that, but then again, I never read the whole thread.

I'm a member of a motorcycle forum that typically has 3000-4000 members online at any one time, from all over the world. As you an imagine, it can get pretty nasty.

Mods over there are darn quick to move things to the OT section when necessary. They even have a Church/State/Money secton within OT. I never go there, but the tales are legendary. Even OT isn't enough at times and they just begin banning people and deleting threads.

The interweb can be a crazy place at times.

Quote Originally Posted by John Harden View Post
    I agree with you if it got into name calling. I never saw that, but then again, I never read the whole thread.

I'm a member of a motorcycle forum that typically has 3000-4000 members online at any one time, from all over the world. As you an imagine, it can get pretty nasty.

Mods over there are darn quick to move things to the OT section when necessary. They even have a Church/State/Money secton within OT. I never go there, but the tales are legendary. Even OT isn't enough at times and they just begin banning people and deleting threads.

The interweb can be a crazy place at times.
    I guess that is one of the things that has made Sawmill Creek such a welcome haven - we rarely had people resorting to such behavior. I hope it does not happen again anytime soon.
    Maurice

The Off Topic forum has the same rules of civility as any other forum at SMC. Moving the thread there was not an option.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

If you are talking about the thread that I started, then yes it is too bad. I didnt even get to read all of the posts as to why it was shutdown.. That sucks...
    Chuck

Subject matter

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Isaacson View Post
    If you are talking about the thread that I started, then yes it is too bad. I didnt even get to read all of the posts as to why it was shutdown.. That sucks...
    I never saw any insults between SC members either, but like I said, I never read the whole thing, and posts can hit very quickly.

Not to worry though. This subject will be around as long as the lawsuits keep getting filed. In other words, it'll be around a L O N G time.

Regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    ...when a contentious subject is brought up on the Creek and the thread turns into a nasty argument and the mods have to delete it. These discussions could be very constructive even if there is never a true meeting of the minds.
    I couldn't agree more David. Some of these discussions remind me of my students who have not yet learned to disagree in a civil manner. I belong to a couple of other forums that do not edit posts as quickly as our mods do here. I have to say that I appreciate the work that is done on this forum by its moderators. I think too many people hide behind the anonymity that a keyboard offers. When threads start to get nasty they've got no place on a woodworking forum.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, too bad. I posted an opinion (no name calling) and went to another forum. When I came back to copy the link to the story, it had been removed.

However, it didn't take a rocket scientist to know that the thread would be short-lived, especially here at SMC. IMHO, it was more about social/legal conditions than it was about woodworking. Throw in the connection to Sawstop and it probably reached critical mass very quickly.

For the record, there are five pages of posts on the same topic over at Woodnet. I guess their terms of service aren't as restrictive.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Cody....and then you have a former roughneck for a Moderator and we know what kind of personality that takes!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Tribby View Post
    I think too many people hide behind the anonymity that a keyboard offers.
    Couldn't agree more. I stand by what I write. My login in name is my real name on every forum I'm a member of, including offroading, motorcycle, pickemup trucks, and lots of gun forums (how do you spell redneck??).

I think it was an old WW or truck forum, maybe 10 years ago, that required members to use their real name. Don't remember who it was, but I never lost the habit.

Regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Cody....and then you have a former roughneck for a Moderator and we know what kind of personality that takes!
    Aw Ken, you're just a big teddy bear.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney