Thread: Creeker Visit - Mike Henderson

Blog Entries

Creeker Visit - Mike Henderson

I swung by Mike Henderson's shop this morning to help him get a faithful old friend of his out of the way (I think his Saw Stop was jealous of his past relationship with his C-man contractor saw). I'll be using his old contractor saw as part of a mad experiment I have in the planning stages for a crosscut station.

Mike was kind enough to give me a tour of some of his work in his home. He has a really wonderful version of an expanding dining table and I took a seat in the most beautiful cherry rocker. I also got to see one of his Newport chests that was in the Fine Woodworking contest. If you haven't, check out some of his work here: http://www.mikes-woodwork.com/

Mike is a modest gentleman of obvious skill. His ingenious use of limited space has confirmed my worst fears; I am spoiled. . . spoiled rotten by my 20' x 30' workspace. Although I have made good use of portions of my space, I have been sloppy and wasteful in other areas. I now stand re-committed to my emergent reorganization plans. Thanks Mike, for the tour and the inspiration.

Proof of visit as per the Pic-Police rules:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

It's great to hear that you fellas were able to meet and share some time together. Through SMC I've learned a lot from both of you. I thank you both for your insight and helpful attitude when offering solutions and advice to those of us with less experience.

I was stunned when I recently read the size of Mike's work space in is SS thread. That proves beyond a doubt in my mind that truly fine woodworking can be produced in small areas!

Thanks for the pic, too. Now we know it happened!
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

Cool. Very Cool

Mike

I got to tell ya' dude. You're a very modest person.
    I never knew you had a woodworking website/business. You do some spectacular work. The veneer is the equal of any I've ever seen.
    Very nice work. All of it.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I would love to hear some of the space saving techniques as I'm also working in a very small space. Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Meeuwissen View Post
    I would love to hear some of the space saving techniques as I'm also working in a very small space. Pat
    My primary space saving technique is that I use my table saw as a router table, workbench, and table saw. Take a look at my web site here. I have pictures of what I did.

Other things you can't see, such as not having a jointer and flattening and edging boards by hand. I do have a planer.

You can see some of my shop in the pictures. If you have questions about what I did in some aspect of it, let me know. My space is 10' by 11'.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I'm moving from 7000 sq. ft. to 1700 sq. ft, and I'm not sure how I am going to accomplish that!

110 Sq.ft. Yikes! I'm just not that efficient. My old tool room was bigger than that.

My dad is a wood carver and works in a 12'x12' space with just a stationary sander and a bandsaw, and I get claustrophobic in there if I visit too long.

Still, I guess I do not need 4 tablesaws, 2 jointers, three planers........

You see the pattern.