Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: laserable laminate material for raised detail?

laserable laminate material for raised detail?

I'm working on a design that would require a fine, raised bump pattern on a smooth part.

Lasering away the background to leave the raised pattern would take way too much time, and also leave a grainy surface. The pattern is too precise to apply by hand and too complex to use a peel-and-stick material, or make a stencil.

So I'm wondering is there some sort of heat-activated laminate, thick paint, wax, or powder that I can place over the part, laser the pattern into, then remove all but the lasered areas?

Dave
    Epilog 35 W 12x24
    Adobe Illustrator
    Dell PC

2. It might be possible to use enamel (the link below is to a swedish page translated by google)
    http://translate.google.se/translate...sv-SE:official

It has a melting point of 100C so it might be possible to sprinkle it on the surface, laser it and than just remove the rest.

Dave, could this be a place to try embossing powder?

dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

What exactly are you trying to do? There might be another solution to your dillema.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

I think Dee may have the answer, although we dont know exactly what you are doing.

It's easy to have a stamp made of the pattern you are looking for and the use the powders.

Another idea may be to use a thin sheet of aluminum and "press it" with a die, that you could laser, like a template so it could be used over again without having to burn each individual piece. Sort of like the old tin cieling tiles.

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

I'm making accessory parts for a vehicle model, so for example, some of them have this no skid pattern, and they have a complex outline.

http://classictraileraccessories.com...age1_large.jpg

I realize this could be photoetched, however, due to the scale and thickness, it is cost prohibitive. So I'm wondering if the laser can be used in some efficient way to put the pattern on cardstock and cut the outline.

This embossing powder looks interesting, but registration would be an issue if I used it the traditional way with stamp and heat gun. Has anybody tried it, or similar, using the laser?

Thanks!
    Dave
    Epilog 35 W 12x24
    Adobe Illustrator
    Dell PC

Those parts in that picture are stamped in a big press. Is that the exact look you are going after? That material is stocked all over the place as is.

Oh wait, I missed the word model, so your dilema is scaling it down and getting the look?

Hi Mark

Yes, small for a scale model, but not small enough to photo etch economically. And thin, but not thin enough to use pressed aluminum, plus the outlines are complex, so its a cutting issue, too. Its a conundrum.

At least the parts will be painted, so they don't need to be metallic.

Dave
    Epilog 35 W 12x24
    Adobe Illustrator
    Dell PC

I wonder if you could make a mold since its a model you might be able to invert it create a mold for the pattern and melt a low melting plastic into it forming the detail your looking for?

Actually , the mould idea is a good one , with a twist. do it in flat perspex in reverse , as per a mould and use a cardstock with a burnishing tool to create the raised sections (raised when you remove after burnishing) , you could use thin brass or copper shimstock too if you want a metal.
    Or alternatively create a male and female "seal" out of deldrin and use a seal pliers to imprint the cardstock or whatever thin substrate you require.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

David,

If it is exactly the diamond plate you need then I have seen that somewhere in miniature for model trains I think it was. If you are only using the diamond plate as an example, then I am afraid I can't help.

I can't recall exactly where I saw it but it was only a few weeks back.
    Dave J
    Forums: Where all too often, logic is the first casualty.

Blog Entries
    If you do decide to make them out of metal...

Make a mask of the bumps using the laser, then powder-coat through the mask. Run that through the oven and the paint should have enough thickness to give you the scale texture you desire.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Hm, metal is only an option if I outsourced, rather do the whole thing in house. I could make a casting but rather eliminate that step as it adds manual labor and time I'd have to charge for. The stencil concept might work though. I'll try a couple of ideas and if any work, I'll post it here!

Thanks for all the ideas!

Any more?

Dave
    Epilog 35 W 12x24
    Adobe Illustrator
    Dell PC

The idea I started with is that there is some sort of transfer material, that I could heat up with the laser on the upper surface, and it would then melt and solidify to whatever material was underneath. Similar to the way that iron-on T shirts are made.

The process is called thermal transfer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_transfer_printer

I just need a transferrable material that has some thickness. Any ideas there?

Dave
    Epilog 35 W 12x24
    Adobe Illustrator
    Dell PC

Dave,

What about vinyl, as used for signage - it comes in metallic finishes and has a slight thickness. Small pieces can be cut, weeded and transferred easily with transfer tape. You could even layer 2 tones for a more 3D illusion.

dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong