• Local Woodturning

95 68.35%
  • None

24 17.27%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clubs you belong to

Clubs you belong to

I do not know if I should join a local wood turning club or AAW or even IAP . I sometimes have a hard time getting to regular meetings, thats why I was considering one of the other groups. I guess I am just looking to see what others have done.
    Any comments or suggestions are more then welcome.
    Lori K

Lori, I really recommend joining AAW. Since 1986 they have done a lot for the woodturner. Over 13,000 members. I don't know the exact number of AAW affiliated clubs but it's well over 200. Probably one in your area.

The American Woodturner, the AAW magazine, has been published since 1986 at 4 issues a year. They have just increased that to 6 per year. A wonderful magazine, always some great articles, and a big help to all members. An annual symposium with about 1500 attendees. 3 days of rubbing shoulders with fellow woodturners. A great experience. I've attended most of them. This year it'll be in Conn. Next year Minn. Always a different part of the country.

I'm a charter member myself. At least I joined within a month or so after it was formed..

Wally

My schedule means that I miss a lot of meetings but I highly recommend that you join a local turning club. It will be worthwhile even if you only get to a few meetings a year.

Hi,

I belong to the Palmetto Turners in the Greater Columbia (SC) area and the Central Virginia Woodturners. Skipping between VA and SC, I miss many meetings, but those I attend are invariably instructive, warm and useful.
    Both of my clubs also have affiliated retailers who provide us with discounts, so.....
    As for the AAW, just getting their magazine is worth the price of belonging. It is a first rate production, full of beautiful turnings, sound advice and lots of info. I'm thinking that the magazines are collector's items.

Don't know what your local club charges for belonging, but assuming it's between 15 and 25 bucks, and AAW charges $40, I think that its a bargain, even if you only go half the time.

Hilel.
    No one has the right to demand aid, but everyone has a moral obligation to provide it-William Godwin

My wife and I are members of Hudson Valley Woodturners. This local club requires an AAW membership, so we joined recently (nice magazine).
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs

I don't belong to a club of any kind, because there isn't a club within 100 miles of my house, and fuel is too high. If there was one within 30 or 40 miles, I would gladly join in. I think it would be wonderful.
    If there is one close enough to you I recommend you join.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

i belong to AAW and recomend it. there is no local woodturning club, but there is an artist group which i belong to.

I belong to AAW and IAP since I don't have a local club even near.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Excellent question.

When I first moved to this area (SE Michigan), I joined a local woodworkers club, and found it was very worthwhile. But over time, I evolved into turning, and came to the conclusion that flatwork wasn't my bag...in spite of decades of flatwork projects. I then joined a local AAW club and am really happy I did. Besides being more in line with my woodworking preferences, it also is a part of a much larger national organization that has resources not available to most clubs.

It's nice to be able to learn from all the members of a club and it certainly shortens the learning curve. It's not necessary to attend every meeting.

I belong to the Minnesota Woodturners Association and highly recommend joining a club if possible. Tonight there were 2 guys from a local pool cue shop demonstrating how they make pool cues.

It was also announced the AAW membership will include an electronic version of the magazine including all old issues.Nice perk. I think I'll have to join.

Lori I belonged to the club here. They have a good bunch of people. Right after I joined I had to miss most of them meetings because work got in the way. I hope to get back there soon.
    Dennis

I belong to 3 local clubs, and the AAW, and a local woodworking group (Eugene Splinters), though they have their meetings on a night when I can't get there.

What is IAP?

robo hippy

I belong to IAP, AWW and 2 local clubs, Lone Star Woodturners and Gulf Coast Woodturners. I enjoy the meetings and learn a lot there.

Well, I went ahead and joined the AAW today. Found some interesting reading in the members only area.
    Thanks for your votes and opinions.
    Lori K