Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3 longboard skateboards I just finished

Blog Entries
    Nice work, Sascha. Beautiful boards; seems a shame someone will put their feet on them.

From an older generation, my first skateboard (called sidewalk surfboards then) was a 2x4 nailed to the skates that attached to your shoes that I swiped from my sister. This was in the late 50's. Anyone here remember skate keys?

Sascha, those boards look fantastic and I imagine that they are an absolute blast to ride. I currently ride a Powell Skull and Sword 9.5 but a long-board is definitely on the "bucket list". I have not spent much time on a long board and it always surprises me how far forward the front trucks are set. The middle one in the picture is an interesting one also. I have never seen anything like it - is it of your own design as well?

Great work indeed.

if you are talking about the one with zebra wood, no that's a Surf rodz design, I am going to make a few extra decks to fit the metal parts though.
    it's just bamboo cross core
    Sascha

Sascha, Those are fantastic,The cocobolo one is a piece of art ,absolutly beautiful. You should be very,very proud. JIM

Great work, I would like to get my son involved in a shop project and this is right up his alley.

What stock do you make the boards from 8/4?

Also do you have a internet source you recemmond for the hardware?

Thanks, those are really nice boards.

Sascha,

Out of curiosity are your boards curved at the tip or tail? I was just wondering. I'm too old to be fooling around on those but I still have interest in how they were layed up if they were. I understand that you edge glue them but I'm so used to seeing boards that have a flip at either end. Maybe I'm thinking snow boards hey.

Great stuff, do you have a shop that you build boards for people?

8/4 is great, on average, those boards end up, depending on length of course, just below 3/4 thick. i just started skating last november, so i don't do this for others....but i would if somebody asked.
    these boards don't have a concave yet, but i will make some with concave top and convex bottom, just like surfboards and they will be hand shaped.
    still looking for the perfect wood.

as for hardware, daddies boardshop, milehigh skates are where I go, surf-rodz makes awesome cnc'd trucks. i did lots of research on the best components and it does matter. great trucks and wheels make the board

thank you everybody
    Sascha

Really nice, its awesome to see something like this when you open a link here. Nothing against traditional woodwork but what a great sight.

Other than riding an old plastic skateboard (early teens probably) with a whale tail type thing (I think it may have been called a shark) I am not a skater of any sorts. But I have a question on the mechanics.

The wheel wells (would never have known other than reading your post), how do you locate them as the trucks pivot when you carve. Do you mount the trucks and then roll the board left right to mark the locations? Or is it just done by eye/experience? Really interesting.

I think esthetically, 4th from the left is my pic in the pic.

Really nice work.
    Mark

Nice work and beautiful wood.

So is skateboarding coming back?

If you make these boards any longer, they may just start looking like a luge.

Wow man, was shocked to see this. Something totally different and want one for myself! I've been surfing for about 8 years now and have never been on a longboard skateboard. But then again where I live it would be tough to use often but still would love to have one, and one as good looking as those. Like everything about them man, keep up the good work. Oh, how much you lookin to get out of those?

thanx again guys.
    yeah i totally fell in love with skateboarding. longboards are fun and I just started last november at the age of 40.

the wheel wells are done just like you said, had the trucks on the board and marked the spots where the wheels would hit if I didn't have axle extensions.
    and then used a 1" ball mill to cut away. a belt sander would work too.

I haven't even thought about selling them. right now I am making them for myself and for fun, but if I ever did, I'd make the decks and have everybody just get the trucks they want.

thank you guys
    Sascha

Sascha, that cocobolo board is spectacular. I'm not a skateboarder, but beautiful woodworking is beautiful woodworking!