Thread: String Inlay corners

String Inlay corners

I am working on doing string inlay, and can do them fine with an end-to-end piece (where the inlay goes the length of the board, and doesn't require a stop, but want to look at doing inlay corners/intersections. Is there a trick to getting the corner groove cut nice and flush where the intersection is a clean cut in a uniform depth.?

Let me know if that question really makes sense. Not sure i can clearly say what I am thinking.

Thanks in advance,
    -Alex
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

I haven't done stringing per se but I've used a lot of 1/16" wide x 1/8" (give or take) deep inlays. I usually have the interections penciled in with an Incra T-rule then stop routing about 1/32 or 1/16" shy of the pencil marks. Then with a 2" wide chisel I put the back up against the channel wall and rock the corner of the chisel down to meet the penciled intersection line. A light rap or 2 with a mallet is usually enough to get the corner to the same depth as the rest of the groove. What's left after going from both directions will usually pop right out with another chisel hit in the middle of the grooves. Exacto knife and/or dental type picks work well for working out anything more stubborn.
    Use the fence Luke

I fashioned a chisel out of an old jigsaw blade, and chucked it up in an x-acto knife handle. I'll post a pic tomorrow afternoon if you like.

What I have done at corners is to clean out the corner well before laying in the stringing. I made mini chisels from eyeglass screw drivers and clean up the corners of the slot. Then you just cut a miter on your inlay stringing with a sharp regular size chisel. It can take a few attempts to get it right. If you have a long string to do, start in the corners with clean miters and then add on to the string with the next piece as a 90 degree piece.

Scott

I have a set of tiny Dastra chisels for this type task, different shapes, work great. I bought them used, they're old, so I don't know whether they're still being made nor if another vendor makes them.

Great idea, Scott, to make them from eyeglass screwdrivers.

Pam