Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Bandsaw died over the weekend.

My Bandsaw died over the weekend.

Well this is my first time with a thread. My old craftsman bandsaw died over the weekend. So now I HAVE to buy another new tool . I have looked at some of the ads but wanted to get the groups advise as to size and what makes works best for ya'll. My much better half doesn't begrudge me my tool addict vice since she repeats the rewards and since I bought the 46-460 she has been playing on it to . So now the Question is how big to go? 14, 18, or 20? and what brand works for ya'll. I do use it to do some resawing but mostly it will be for making bowl blanks. Thanks for any advise and thought I might not reply I have been looking at most of the beautiful work that get posted and am impressed with the craftsmanship.

Stephan Larson

What Bandsaw ?

I have a Powermatic 14" (13.5" from blade to upper frame are)however I purchased and installed the 6" riser block which gives me 12 verticle blade clearance. This is great for resawing wood. I'm sure there are other great bandsaw manufacturers but this one works really well for me. I use Timberwolf blades and really like those as well.

Personally, I would get a minimum of a 14" BS. I would look around on Craigs list and find one that you can get for less than new. I also would highly consider adding a riser block to a 14" saw. I picked up a perfect condition 14" Rigid for under $200 and am picking up a riser block kit to add to it. The saw also came with a large series of blades so I will first usr them up till dull then add the riser block.

I have the Grizzly G0555X with the riser block. 90% of the time I cut green wood blanks but do resaw on it with a woodslicer blade. 4 yrs+ no problems.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thumbs up

I have the jet 14" with the riser block and it does all i throw at it ..but...my nephew bought the jet 18" with roller bearings for the blade guides instead of the cooling blocks and it is one sweeeeet bandsaw to cut on ..nice and smooth and no lack of power at all.
    If i were to do it all over again or have to replace my 14" i would definitely go with the 17 or 18" i think it would really be a nice change

Bob

Welcome to the Creek Stephen!
    You didn't mention your budget, There are a lot of options out there. I have an older Laguna 16" with a 2.5 hp motor that will resaw 12". The new ones will go 16!
    If mine were to die, I would look into the grizzly, minmax, laguna, and powermatic. I would be looking for at least 3 hp and 14-16 inch resaw. I would also keep an eye on craigs list, ebay and other auction sites. I have seen some very good deals on quality used equipment.
    Good luck,
    Tom

The Army says... "be all you can be".. I believe in... Buy all that you can buy....

Years ago I picked up a 14" delta used and recently picked up a used Jet 18"... I love'em both....

"buy all that you can buy"...

Good Luck
    Joe

8. ditto on "buy all you can buy"

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Scarfo View Post
    The Army says... "be all you can be".. I believe in... Buy all that you can buy....

Years ago I picked up a 14" delta used and recently picked up a used Jet 18"... I love'em both....

"buy all that you can buy"...

Good Luck
    Joe
    I'm with Joe on this. I started out with a 10" 3 wheel bandsaw, then went to a 14", and now have an 18' Jet. I still have all 3 and use them, but if I had the space and the money, I would go for nothing less than a 20" and maybe more. It allows you to process wood for turning, make veneers and cut logs into slabs or boards.

Back when, I never even considered the thought of needing to do something that a 14" model could not handle. If a person is pretty certain that all they are going to do is just a little "hobby turning, [pens, small bowls, etc] then the 14" model will probably be all you need with a riser block, but when you really get serious about woodworking, and want to do a lot of things considered "advanced level" then you will wish you had all the bandsaw you have space and budget to absorb.

9. Is replacing the motor an option?

My 14" bandsaw died 2 years ago, and I replaced the tiwanese motor with a Baldor. For the same Hp. rating, the baldor motor has probably twice the torque, and where I could bog the other one down, I have never bogged the baldor down, and now I am cutting bowl blanks from logs and doing some resawing with it, where I used to not be able to do resawing.

Even on my Tiwanese saw, the baldor frame fit perfectly.., just thought this might be an option for you.

The "Griz" that Bernie has is rated right up there in the 14" size. I have an old Reliant w/riser block, can't seem to kill it, but would probably consider Grizzly for the money when it goes.

I chose a 17" because it will handle resaw better and because it will still take a 1/4" blade without a problem.

Grizzly 514X2
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Like you I wanted a BS that would be used frequently for cutting log sections for turning rounds. I ended up buying the MiniMax MM16. With 4.8hp and 16" resaw there have only been a handful of times where I needed more capability. It's been an excellent saw and I would buy it again.

I just installed a new 14" Rikon and have done some quick test resaws with it. Seems to have plenty of power. Has a nice resaw fence and is usually on sale at Woodcraft. I post some pictues in the equipment forum. If you want to take a look go here. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=134189

"The best things in life are not things."

If I were to buy a new band saw I would look at the Jet 18" , most of the 14" bandsaws are too tall for me to feel comfrtable hoisting a big chunk of green wood up and too small of a table.I mention this because I have the Jet14" and an antique Delta 14". I do have a riser on the Jet, which I need to adjust because of blade wander...
    The Jet 18" has a lower table and more power, which when cutting some glue ups would come in handy, at least for me.

I'll 2nd the Rikon 14" deluxe. Good HP + approx 12"+ resaw capacity. Good customer service and decent price.

I've had one for 3 years with no problems.

Jim