Thread: Tamed the monster!

Tamed the monster!

About 2 months ago I brought the Kel McNaughton Centre Saver system. First 2 attempts produced 2 nice big funnels and 2 small bowls. 3rd and 4th attempt managed to cut 2 bowls each from 2 large blanks, still not what I wanted to accomplish with it.

Then this weekend I watched Mike Mahoney’s video ah – took a nice piece of freshly cut Pear wood 8” in diameter and managed to core my first set of nestling bowls. Good feeling! And a lot less shavings on my shop floor.

Large bowl is 7 ˝” diameter 3 ˝” high, middle bowl 5 ˝” dia. And 2 ˝” high – small bowl 4” dia and 1” high. Turned green to 1/8” thickness and now waiting for them to dry and distort before I finish them off.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Roland, looks like you nailed it!! I have been curious on these coring systems, and just haven't asked or researched - how do you chuck up the cored bowls? Looks like there isn't enough "meat" to turn a recess or tenon.

Roland I think you nailed it. Really nice looking set. I have the oneway unit and it does a good job.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Roland, looks like you nailed it!! I have been curious on these coring systems, and just haven't asked or researched - how do you chuck up the cored bowls? Looks like there isn't enough "meat" to turn a recess or tenon.
    It depends on how you core the bowls, largest to smallest, or vice-versa. I always core the largest one first so I can use a screw chuck to hold it while I form a tenon on the back for the scroll chuck. Then chuck it up and core out the center again . . . etc., etc.

I haven't tried coring the smallest blank first.

I agree with Frank use a screw chuck and then turn a small tenon on the smaller bowls.

Also turning a very green wood made it extremely easy to core verses a drier blank. I have a couple of pieces left of this wood and will try and core out thinner bowls this weekend. Maybe get 4 or 5 bowls out of my blank. Would love to do work like Christian Burchard nestling bowls.

I never used a screw chuck. Tried it a few times, and it just didn't work for me. I do drill a recess in the top of the blank so I can expand my chuck into it. You can also use a face plate. Either method will let you center the core you remove easily to true up the outside, and then turn a recess (my favorite) or a tenon.

Getting 3 bowls from a 3 1/2 inch blank requires some precise cutting. I can do it, but most of the time, for a production turner, that last little bowl isn't worth it unless it is a special or really pretty piece of wood.

robo hippy