Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: #19 Ms. Keeton's bowl!!

Nice shape and beautiful wood. The color of the finial seems to match the bowl exactly in one picture but looks different (redder) in another. Just curious about which shade is the most accurate. Enjoy seeing all of these.

Great work as always John. I really enjoy seeing your work.

This piece was fun to do (aren't they all!?!?), and I appreciate again your patience in looking and commenting. But, I am afraid your kind and considerate support simply makes the illness worse!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    I know you just recently got your Delta lathe, but how long have you been turning?
    Roger, I started turning in September of last year, and turned the first bowl right around Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth walker View Post
    Great bowl John
    The WTAA meeting is next wed. You should come it is a 12 step program that works with any vortex. I am told. Can't get myself to go. Ken
    Ken, I would go with you, but I don't have time - still have wood to turn!! As soon as I get turned all of the wood I can get my hands on, what about you and I signing up!

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Smith View Post
    The color of the finial seems to match the bowl exactly in one picture but looks different (redder) in another. Just curious about which shade is the most accurate. Enjoy seeing all of these.
    Baxter, I looked in a couple of different lightings, and it seems to depend on the setting. The finial may be a bit redder, but not as much as the pics indicate. It did come from another block of Claro, and every piece I have gotten is different in color and grain. It is very, very nice stuff to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Ms. Keeton is pleased.
    I can see why. The bowl is exceptionally beautiful. I love everything about it, and will be downloading and stealing....err, borrowing the ideas here.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    This piece was fun to do (aren't they all!?!?), and I appreciate again your patience in looking and commenting. But, I am afraid your kind and considerate support simply makes the illness worse!
    Uh, oh!!! I think he is on to our plan!
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Brian....do you think John is accusing us of "fanning the flames"?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Fanning the flames of his new passion.

I think the jig may be up!
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Alright John,
    We know you can't be going to work very often to keep pumping out such great work in such a short time. What gives? As always, you have progressed so fast its amazing. Well done!
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

John you have taken to this turning faster that anyone I know and your work keeps getting better. I enjoy seeing your work so keep 'em coming.

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Just like Sid said, totally agree, very nice again John
    Have fun and take care

John,

I like the piece with a caveat.

I am not a fan of the finial. I understand what you were trying to accomplish but the bottom is too clunky for me. The bowl and lid are elegant but the finial is distracting.

Overall a very nice piece.

Toney

Saweet!!!!!

That's a great piece of Claro John. It's always a good thing when the wife is taken care of, oh, the sacrificing we husbands endure (haha). Another fine piece John!

John...

I think this is my favorite piece. I particularly like the finial design and execution.

In order to increase production, you might want to consider an offshore partner.

...Bob

Thanks, again, for all the kind words!! When my daughter discussed with me which piece she wanted, she responded "the one you enjoyed making the most." My reply was "that will always be the one I do tomorrow!" I do like this one the best of the bowls, but I still like the platter turning (Bad Mood A'Risin') as it just has a certain "feel" to it - I guess the rustic, ancient thing going on.

I do appreciate all of the input, and the comments on style. Toney, I understand your comments on the finial base. My thought was that the piece needed something of substance to give it some height since the lid was recessed below the rim. It is really a knob vs. finial, and I did not want anyone to be hesitant to grasp the knob/finial to lift the lid.

I would have like to have brought the finial base in some to provide more of an "outswept" rim, but I did not have enough thickness to the curly maple to carry the ogee more to the center. The lid "flattened out" at about the point where the base sits, and I did not want a flat spot to show. Had the maple been thicker, I could have brought the ogee in more with a resultingly smaller finial base.

Even with what I did, I have had one person already ask "is it OK to lift the lid with this?" I think people expect a knob to be rounded, and perhaps that should have been done here - but, I just couldn't......

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    No accusations Ken and Brian, just an out and out indictment!!
    Last edited by John Keeton; 03-01-2010 at 2:13 PM.

Dang Mr. Keeton, I am thinking you ought to give up the flatwork distraction and start turning full time. Might even be able to give up the day job!! Well done yet again.