Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: #19 Ms. Keeton's bowl!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

#19 Ms. Keeton's bowl!!

After my daughter claimed the Claro and Curly Maple lidded bowl, my wife commented that she really had liked that one and would like another like it. I needed very little urging!

Of course, I had to order 5 or 6 Claro blanks, too!! This is another beautiful piece of Claro. It did have some checks, but they filled fairly well with sawdust and Titebond.

On the last one, there were concerns regarding the possible movement of the bowl/lid causing the lid to no longer fit. On this one, I changed the design. The lid has a fitted tenon that drops into the bowl, but it has a slightly loose fit. The slope of the rim causes the lid to settle into place very well, and the underside of the lip of the lid is sloped to match the rim.

The lid continues the slope of the rim for a sort distance and then flows into an ogee to repeat the general lines of the bowl. The underside of the lid is an ogee to match the top surface with consistent thickness.

I believe I like the form on this one better.

It is 10 5/8" x 2 3/8" to the rim, and about 5 1/4" to the top of the knob/finial. The foot is 3 3/4" - perhaps a bit large for your taste, but I wanted some substance to this bowl.

Finish is just BLO and a quick coat of shellac buffed with 0000 at this point. It will get a couple coats of lacquer.

Ms. Keeton is pleased.

19-1.JPG19-2.JPG19-3.JPG19-4.JPG19-5.JPG

And, the finial and bottom. As much as possible, I repeated the lid profile in the finial base.
    19-6.JPG19-7.JPG19-8.JPG

That's a great piece of Claro John. It's always a good thing when the wife is taken care of, oh, the sacrificing we husbands endure (haha). Another fine piece John!

John...

I think this is my favorite piece. I particularly like the finial design and execution.

In order to increase production, you might want to consider an offshore partner.

...Bob

Thanks, again, for all the kind words!! When my daughter discussed with me which piece she wanted, she responded "the one you enjoyed making the most." My reply was "that will always be the one I do tomorrow!" I do like this one the best of the bowls, but I still like the platter turning (Bad Mood A'Risin') as it just has a certain "feel" to it - I guess the rustic, ancient thing going on.

I do appreciate all of the input, and the comments on style. Toney, I understand your comments on the finial base. My thought was that the piece needed something of substance to give it some height since the lid was recessed below the rim. It is really a knob vs. finial, and I did not want anyone to be hesitant to grasp the knob/finial to lift the lid.

I would have like to have brought the finial base in some to provide more of an "outswept" rim, but I did not have enough thickness to the curly maple to carry the ogee more to the center. The lid "flattened out" at about the point where the base sits, and I did not want a flat spot to show. Had the maple been thicker, I could have brought the ogee in more with a resultingly smaller finial base.

Even with what I did, I have had one person already ask "is it OK to lift the lid with this?" I think people expect a knob to be rounded, and perhaps that should have been done here - but, I just couldn't......

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Brian....do you think John is accusing us of "fanning the flames"?
    No accusations Ken and Brian, just an out and out indictment!!
    Last edited by John Keeton; 03-01-2010 at 2:13 PM.

Dang Mr. Keeton, I am thinking you ought to give up the flatwork distraction and start turning full time. Might even be able to give up the day job!! Well done yet again.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    No accusations Ken and Brian, just an out and out indictment!!
    Yea, yea, yea, Keeton there ya go using them big words again.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Nice turning John. Can't wait to see # 20. Don't understand half of what your talking about but I know what I like and I like what your doing.

"The best things in life are not things."

Another Keeton! Beautifully done John. You sure have taken to this turning thing.

Ms. Keeton has good taste BTW.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Very nice John, keep them coming.

The finial is only too big if it's supposed to only be a decorative piece. If its for utilitarian purposes then no its not too big.

Great job, pretty wood.

John that is beautiful. No wonder she likes it. Well done.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

John, I like it....that is another beauty
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Another great piece. I'm looking foward to a big 20. Maybe something in the spalted catagory.
    Donny

I understand why Eileen likes this one John....
    Beautiful piece of walnut and a sweet top with that finial.
    Very well done yet again Sir.