Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jointer plane search

Jointer plane search

I'm in the market for a jointer plane to rehab (I will need it to flatten my new workbench when it's assembled!).

I've been looking at the Stanley Baileys on Ebay. Is there anything specific that I should look for or avoid? I've read through most of the links relevant to the subject in the "Neander Wisdom" sticky, but it's just so much info to soak in.

I'm not trying to get a collectors item, but from the going prices on some of them, it looks as if I can get a Stanley user that needs just a little TLC for about the same price as a Groz.

Thanks for any help!

I assume you have looked at the current thread, "The Best Jointer Plane You Have Ever Used."

Because most of us do not have a whole flock of Jointer Planes, a lot of these responses are "I like the one that I have." Nevertheless you can see a lot of planes that people like. I'll post the compilation by tonight and we'll keep adding to that.

Over 1/3 so far (10 of 27) are refurbished old Stanleys. 4 others are also refurbished old metal planes. So yes, I think you can do very well going that route. Many of them have hock blades and cap irons so figure that in your potential cost if you need one.

Hopefully the specifics on that thread can show some good things to look for and others who know better than me will chime in.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Check out this guy, I bought a few things from him, he is realy honest and the tools are great users!
    e-mail: brass@snet.net
    phone: 203-574-7805
    please call before 5pm
    Walt

An other one you can try, I never bought anything from him but heard good things!
    In the Stanley planes, #8 will be more $$ than #7 and BedRock will be more that Baileys plane. I think, a rule of thumb for used Stanleys, is type 15 and earlier!

Thanks for the input. David, do you know where Walt is located?

Clint,
    How experienced are you at getting an old plane up and running? It's one thing to lap a #3or #4 if needed, but you can do more damage than good on something like a jointer. That's the place to look for one thats been rehabbed or at least "OK'd" by someone with experience. Walt is a good choice. Lots of others too.

Mark

Clint,

Please don't get something like a Groz. An older Bailey or Millers Falls would be reasonably priced and in the long run a far better choice.

-Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stutz View Post
    Clint,
    How experienced are you at getting an old plane up and running? It's one thing to lap a #3or #4 if needed, but you can do more damage than good on something like a jointer. That's the place to look for one thats been rehabbed or at least "OK'd" by someone with experience. Walt is a good choice. Lots of others too.

Mark

Not much really. The planes that I have are a Stanley block plane and Stanley #4, both only a few years old, and a #5 Groz. I have fiddled with them and got them all working much better than when I got them.

I will check out Walt to see what he has. Does he have a website?

Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I do trust and have done business with each of these folks: Jon Zimmer, Patrick Leach, Sandy Moss, Walt Q, and Bob Kaune.

At any point in time, you should be able to find a reasonably priced #7 among these guys. A #8 is a little less frequent. A couple of summers ago, I wandered into every shop and flea market I could find in old tool rich Maine looking for a decent #7. Every one I found had good reason for rejection. One of these guys, Jon if I remember right, came through with a good one at a price comparable to many of the rejects in the shops.

Your location says Raleigh, NC
    Here are the M-WTCA meet dates for your state. Great people, old tool lovers, good selection, hold it in your hands before you buy!
    Jan 16, 2010, Hillsborough, NC Tom Konsler (919) 967-9550
    Feb 4-6, 2010, Madison, GA Doug Fowler (706) 629-8604 Peach Meet (This is a joint 3 day meeting with Area's K,M,N & Q)
    Apr 10, 2010, Waxhaw, NC David Fridy (704) 843-5024
    Jul 24, 2010, Raleigh, NC Ed Hobbs (919) 828-2754
    Nov 6, 2010, Bethania, NC Robert Oehman (919) 858-8506
    You could just call Ed Hobbs in Raleigh, the Mid-west tool collectors all know each other and he may direct you to someone that has one for sale. ]

Mike

WOW!

You guys are awesome. I will definitely check into this to located a good plane instead of Ebay.

Thanks!!!

Clint - Since you're in Raleigh, you're in luck. Drop by Klingspor's Woodworking Shop in Raleigh. They retail antique tools from a local trustworthy dealer - Jake Gardner. Several #7s were on display last time I looked (last week), and a couple of #8s. The shop doesn't add much in the way of markup to these tools, and you can examine them in your hand to see if it's what you want.

Jake typically deals in somewhat scruffy, but absolutely useable planes and other tools. "Scruffy" means the normal wear and grime you'd see on a tool, but not cracks, breaks and other problems that you may (or may not) see on e-bay tools.

Quote Originally Posted by David Keller NC View Post
    Clint - Since you're in Raleigh, you're in luck. Drop by Klingspor's Woodworking Shop in Raleigh. They retail antique tools from a local trustworthy dealer - Jake Gardner. Several #7s were on display last time I looked (last week), and a couple of #8s. The shop doesn't add much in the way of markup to these tools, and you can examine them in your hand to see if it's what you want.

Jake typically deals in somewhat scruffy, but absolutely useable planes and other tools. "Scruffy" means the normal wear and grime you'd see on a tool, but not cracks, breaks and other problems that you may (or may not) see on e-bay tools.
    Perfect!
    I will check that out next time I on that side of town.
    Thanks!

Well......... I happened tofind my way to that side of town, and I happened to walk out of Klinspors with a #7. Tell me what y'all think........

It's a little grimey, but everything seems (to this novice) to be in good shape. There is a little wiggle in the tote, but the front screw should tighten that up. Pretty much all of the japaning is gone.

The blade has a very pronounced camber to it. I thought you should put a straight edge on a jointer plane?

The note on the tag says "Stanley #7-C, Type 11 (about 1910)-3 Pat. Dates on Casting. Considered by some craftsmen as Stanleys Best Issue"

I'd be interested to hear what y'all think the plane would be worth before I divulge what I paid for it.

Also, what would be the best thing to do to get the rust off of it. I'm thinking WD-40 and 0000 steel wool ought to be a good place to start.
    Last edited by Clint Barden; 03-01-2010 at 5:10 PM.