Thread: Speakers

Speakers

Okay guys. Somebody out there has always been able to solve our problems. There is a great amount of knowledge. I've answered a few questions but never asked one myself. So here is my questions:
    My wife gave me, for my birthday, a Sirius radio for my shop. Because of the size and shape of the shop I would like to have 4 3-way speakers. What I've learned is, the receiver, in order to handle 4 speakers, the speakers have to be 16 ohm. I can find all kinds of 8 ohm that have a U shaped bracket that I can mount to the wall but I can't find any 16 ohms - especially at a reasonable price. My end result is to have a Sirius radio hooked to a receiver and 4 speakers. Best Buy is of no help. I really appreciate the help. Thank you.
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

If the speakers are all identical, you can hook two 8-ohm ones in series to make a 16-ohm one. Because they're identical, half the power will get applied to one speaker, and half will get applied to the other one.

Speakers

Jamie - The receiver I had, had 4 places on the back for speakers - two were A and two were B. The receiver's manual said that if I were going to use the two "A" recepitcals I could use 8 ohm speakers. If I were to use all four recepitcal for 4 speakers I would need 16 ohm speakers. Are 8 ohm larger than 16 ohm or the other way around. If I understand what you are telling me, I can put two pluses and two negatives in one set of connections to feed two speakers. Thanks.
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

John,

Ohms is a measurement of resistance or impedance.

8 ohms is 1/2 the impedance of 16 ohms.

To hook 2 - 8ohm speakers in series, you would hook the negative of one speaker to one of the "A" connectors" (connector would probably be marked "-") ....you would hook the + of that same speaker to the negative of the 2nd speaker......and then hook the positive of the 2nd speaker to the other "A" connector.

Thus.....the current would flow from one A connector through the first speaker....through the second speaker...and to the 2nd A connector. The speaker are then "in series".

Repeat the procedure for the 2nd set of 2 speakers and the "B" connectors.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

John,

With the speakers "in series" their impedance (8 ohms each) become additive and thus 8 ohms + 8 ohms = 16 ohms.

It's important that you get these hooked up correctly to prevent damaging the amplifier in your radio.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

What receiver are you using? And what speakers are you looking at?

You might want to consider a speaker switch. This would have built in impedance control to protect the amplifier from over heating.

I doubt it will matter at all, frankly. Speakers aren't a fixed load anyway--the load resistance varies as the voice coil moves in and out. Not something--in my mind--to worry about at all. The reverse, speakers that dip to a very low load, are much more difficult for an amp to drive (trust me, I had some electrostatic speakers that ranged from 4 ohms to a half ohm).